Mathematics Placement Test
Math Placement Test
The Math Placement Test allows us to assess your math skills. To graduate from Augsburg, you are required to reach Math Placement Group 3 (MPG 3) which is equivalent to college algebra. It also ensures that you don’t take a class for which you are not prepared. Many academic departments like math, science, business, and social sciences all require a specific level of competency in math.
You are exempt from the testing requirement if you have passed:
- A college algebra (or higher) course within the past five years (see your transcript evaluation); or
- The College Board Advanced Placement exam (AP) at college algebra or higher with an appropriate score; or
- The College Level Examination Program exam (CLEP) in college algebra or higher with an appropriate score.
The Math Placement Test
This placement test consists of thirty multiple choice questions. Even though the questions are multiple choice, you should work through each problem as you would on any math test. There is no time limit on the test so work slowly and carefully. Please bring a pencil and your calculator to the exam. MPG 3 is a requirement for graduation and is also a pre-requisite for many classes in various majors.
- To place in (at least) Math Placement Group 2, you will need to correctly answer at least 8 of the first 10 questions on the Math Placement Exam. You should work on practice questions 1-20 (Basic Math). You would need to answer at least 16 of those 20 questions correctly.
- To place in (at least) Math Placement Group 3, you will need to correctly answer at least 6 of the second 10 questions on the Math Placement Exam. You should work on practice questions 21-40 (Algebra). You would need to answer at least 12 of those 20 questions correctly.
- To place in Math Placement Group 4, you will need to have taken a Precalculus course (or an equivalent fourth year High School math course) and correctly answer at least 5 of the last 10 questions on the Math Placement Exam. You should work on practice questions 41-50 (Precalculus). You would need to answer 5 of those 10 questions correctly. Students who are planning to major in Math, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Elementary Education, or Secondary Ed/Math will find it advantageous to test into Math Placement Group 4.
If you have questions about the Math Placement Test or how to advance your Math Placement Group, please contact Academic Advising at 612-330-1025.
Students may only retake the Math Placement Test once during their first term at Augsburg College and no sooner than 30 days since the last time that student took the exam. To retake the Math Placement Exam, students must schedule an appointment with Academic Advising.
Suggested Resources for Math Review