Math Placement Group
To graduate from Augsburg, you are required to reach Math Placement Group 3 (MPG 3) which is equivalent to college algebra. It also ensures that you don’t take a class for which you are not prepared. Your Math Placement Group will be assigned based on whether you have:
Passed a college-level math course:
- A college algebra (or higher) course within the past five years (see your transcript evaluation); or
- The College Board Advanced Placement exam (AP) at college algebra or higher with an appropriate score; or
- The College Level Examination Program exam (CLEP) in college algebra or higher with an appropriate score.
Submitted an ACT score and high school transcript from within the past five years:
You will receive a math placement group based on your ACT math sub-score and high school math courses. You will be given the option to test higher (see math placement test below).
|ACT Math Subscore||Math Placement||Required Placement Test|
|18 and below||MPG 1||Basic Math, Algebra|
|24-25||MPG 3||No test needed|
|22-25 and successful high school precalc, trig, or calc||MPG 3||Precalculus (optional)|
|26+ and successful high school precalc, trig, or calc||MPG 4||No test needed|
Passed the Augsburg Math Placement Test:
The Math Placement Test
This placement test is a short multiple choice quiz testing basic math, algebra, and – depending on intended major – precalculus. Even though the questions are multiple choice, you should work through each problem as you would on any math test. Please bring a pencil and your calculator to the exam.
- To place in (at least) Math Placement Group 2, you will need to earn at least 80% on the Basic Math Placement Exam. You should work on practice questions 1-20 (Basic Math).
- To place in (at least) Math Placement Group 3, you will need to earn at least 60% on the Algebra Math Placement Exam. You should work on practice questions 21-40 (Algebra).
- To place in Math Placement Group 4, you will need to have completed four years of high school math, including a Precalculus or equivalent course, and earn at least 70% on the Algebra section of the math placement test, and 60% on the precalculus section. You should work on practice questions 21-40 (Algebra) and 41-50 (Precalculus). Students who are planning to major in Math, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Elementary Education, or Secondary Ed/Math will find it advantageous to test into Math Placement Group 4.
If you have questions about the Math Placement Test or how to advance your Math Placement Group, please contact Academic Advising at 612-330-1025.
Students may only retake the Math Placement Test once during their first term at Augsburg College and no sooner than 30 days since the last time that student took the exam. To retake the Math Placement Exam, students must schedule an appointment with Academic Advising.
Suggested Resources for Math Review