Native American Film Series
The Augsburg Native American Film Series (ANAFS) grew out of a love for film and a desire to increase the number of venues for Native American filmmakers in Minneapolis. The energy that drives the ANAFS is based on a commitment to affecting the world through artistic collaboration and a belief in the power of film to inform, affect, and stimulate vastly different groups of people. Our goals include the following:
- Offer regional venues for Native American filmmakers—both seasoned and youth—to present their films and engage other communities in dialogue about the films and the process and politics of working as a Native American filmmaker.
- Build collaborative relationships between the local Native American community and other communities that honor the rich tradition of Native American film in Minnesota and the surrounding area.
- Develop an interactive environment where students and community participants critically engage with the tough issues raised by many Native filmmakers about America’s history, our contemporary culture, and social justice.
- Provide a traveling selection of films to rural and reservation communities during the summer.
- Ensure that all film screenings are free to the public.
For upcoming film events, please visit the Native American Film Series website.