The major in management prepares the student for a wide variety of careers in supervision and senior management. Peter Drucker once commented that effective management is probably the main resource of developed countries and the most needed resource in developing ones.
The role of a manager is to guide the organization and its employees toward the accomplishment of goals. The skills developed in the study of this major are applicable in businesses of any size and in both the for-profit and nonprofit sectors.
In addition to the general business core courses, students take courses in human resources, strategy, international management, project management and/or quantitative methods of management.
Degree and Major Requirements
Business Core Requirements
Seven courses including:
- ACC 221 – Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC 222 – Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- BUS 242 – Principles of Management
- or BUS 200 – Exploring Business as a Vocation
- ECO 113 – Principles of Microeconomics
- FIN 331 – Financial Management
- MIS 260 – Problem Solving for Business
- MKT 252 – Principles of Marketing
Required Management Courses
Six courses including:
- ECO 112 – Principles of Macroeconomics
- MIS 264 – Statistical Literacy for Managers
- or MIS 379 – Quantitative Methods for Business and Economics
- BUS 340 – Human Resource Management
- BUS 440 – Strategic Management
- BUS 465 – International Management
- MIS 376 – Project Management
- or ECO 318 – Management Science
Graduation skills in Critical Thinking (CT), Quantitative Reasoning (QR), Speaking (S), and Writing (W) are embedded throughout the offered courses and are met by completing the Management major.
Transfer students must consult an advisor about potential adjustments to their course requirements to fulfill each of these skills.
Note: All business majors are encouraged to take KEY 490 – Vocation and the Meaning of Success to fulfill the Augsburg Core Curriculum Senior Keystone requirement.
For a complete list of courses and descriptions, see the Course Description Search.