The marketing major prepares students for professional careers in a wide variety of marketing functions within both business and not-for-profit organizations. Career avenues include marketing research, product management, marketing communications (e.g., advertising, public relations, sales promotion), and sales. Marketing courses focus on integrating both theory and practical applications, with an emphasis on hands-on projects. Augsburg’s metropolitan location makes it easy for marketing students to complete marketing plans, research studies, and other projects for leading Twin Cities companies and not-for-profit organizations.
There are two marketing tracks:
1) DAY option: Marketing Major (requirements below)
2) WEC option: Business Administration major with a specialization in marketing (found here!)
Business Core Requirements
Seven courses including:
- ECO 113 Principles of Microeconomics
- ACC 221 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC 222 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- BUS 242 Principles of Management or BUS 200 Exploring Business as Vocation
- MKT 252 Principles of Marketing
- FIN 331 Financial Management
- MIS 260 Problem Solving for Business
Required Marketing Courses
Eight courses including:
- ECO 112 Principles of Macroeconomics
- BUS 301 Business Law
- BUS 379 Quantitative Methods for Business and Economics or BUS 264 Statistical Literacy for Managers
- MKT 352 Marketing Research/Analysis
- MKT 450 Marketing Management
- MKT 466 International Marketing
- MKT 350 Consumer Behavior or MKT 354 Sales Management
- MKT 355 Marketing Communications or MKT 357 Advertising
Graduation skills in Critical Thinking (CT), Quantitative Reasoning (QR), Speaking (S), and Writing (W) are embedded throughout the offered courses and are met by completing the major. Transfer students must consult an adviser about potential adjustments to their course requirements to fulfill each of these skills.
Note: All business majors are encouraged to take KEY 490 Vocation and the Meaning of Success to fulfill the Augsburg Core Curriculum Senior Keystone requirement. (See course description under Augsburg Core Curriculum.)
Minor in Marketing
Five courses including:
MKT 252, MKT 355 or MKT 357, MKT 352, and two additional marketing courses.
This minor is recommended for anyone who wishes to further their knowledge of the marketing field.