(This only applies if you are eligible for alternative-format textbooks)
- Order alt-format textbooks once you register for the next semester’s classes. Your Specialist or the Accommodations Team can help you fill out this form.
- Forms are processed in the order that they are received, but timing can also depend on when textbooks are available from the bookstore and how long it takes us to get authorization from publishers.
- If you ask us to purchase the books for you, they will be charged to your student account.
- If you make any changes to your class schedule, please notify us immediately so we can process the correct books for you.
- Legally, you must own the printed book in order to get access to the alternative-format version. If you buy your textbooks, keep your receipt for us as proof of purchase.
Kurzweil 3000 is software that converts digital text to speech. If we can’t get an electronic file of your book through the publisher, the textbook binding will need to be cut for the pages to be scanned and converted into Kurzweil.
If you are eligible for alternative-format texts, a read-only version of Kurzweil can be installed on your PC or Macintosh desktop or laptop by the IT Department during their posted Groves Accommodations Lab hours (call x1748 for hours).
Audio recordings of many textbooks are available from Learnig Ally (formerly RFB&D). These special CDs can be played on portable players which can be checked out from the Groves Lab for free.
Returning Equipment and Software
All equipment must be returned to the CLASS Office by the end of each semester. Kurzweil and other college-licensed software will need to be uninstalled if you are no longer using it or are not enrolled.
All equipment should be returned in the same condition in which you received it, otherwise replacement costs or fines may be applied to your student account.