June Good News

Mike-Good-headshot Answering the Call

You who often read and share this “Good News!” with me likely know my story very well. You understand that out of a dark moment came direction and guidance to persist—to accept the call to serve Augsburg and help bring the Center for Science, Business, and Religion to fruition. (If my story is new to you or you want a refresher, here is short video of that story…. link)

Today I see such encouraging signs as others take up the charge and are answering that same call.

Some recent examples are worthy of sharing with you here.

- Rick Ekstrand ’72, who has already committed financially to the CSBR, recently opened his home to many Auggies and friends in the Glenwood/Alexandria area. He wanted others to hear the story of the CSBR and to get involved.
- Mert Johnson ’59, who also has committed to the CSBR, answered our request that he think of others he knew who should hear “the Augsburg Story.” He has opened the door to business and technology leaders for us in the Alexandria, MN area with whom we are now sharing the exciting work underway by so many Augsburg students and faculty.
- Herb Chilstrom ’54, also committed to the CSBR, answered the call and sent us a list of additional Auggies whom he thought would be interested in learning about the campaign. We are already working on plans to visit with them
- Linda Engstrom Akenson ’72, got involved by inviting others to attend the event at Rick’s home in Glenwood. She wanted to express her enthusiasm for the CSBR and was willing to reach out to tell fellow Auggies more about the campaign and the vision of the College. Linda made her own commitment to the CSBR this past week and will continue to work with us in “telling the Augsburg story” to fellow Auggies.

As you know, I always have three requests of people I speak to about the Center for Science, Business, and Religion. 1) Prayerfully consider a stretch gift. 2) Think of others who you know that should her about our “Augsburg Story”. 3) Consider being a Class Leader.

Now you have the opportunity to act on behalf of our invitation to answer the call. Each time I share our story I see people get very excited about Augsburg. They relate to our relevance, our excellence, and our vision. Believe, Listen and Respond to your Personal Call.

When you answer the call, you act on an Augsburg value— to make the world better by following through on your ideas and your ideals.

You may not realize it, but now is a great time to listen to those voices, both in you heart and all around you, encouraging you to respond. Many donors have presented challenges to join them in giving to the CSBR. And more classes have reached their class goal of at least $1 million each in support of the CSBR.

In every way, Augsburg is an urban university making a real difference for us all. I am eager to hear from you and ready for what comes next.

With thanks,

Mike Good