To be considered for admission to the DNP/Family Nurse Practitioner track, students must have:
- An earned a baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN or BAN), master’s degree in nursing, or doctor of nursing practice (DNP from a regionally accredited institution and a nationally accredited nursing program. A minimum GPA of 3.0 from their previous baccalaureate nursing program; a minimum GPA of 3.2 from a previous Master’s in Nursing program or a Doctor of Nursing Practice program.
- Evidence of a current unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse. A MN license required. Other state licenses will be required for clinical rotations in those states.
- A minimum of five years active and current clinical practice as a Registered Nurse. (change 10/2013 from 3 yrs to 5 yrs)
- Satisfactory results of a certified federal criminal background check at time of admission and annually thereafter; additional testing may be required for clinical placement, e.g. alcohol-drug testing, HIV testing, etc.
- A valid passport or proof of application submitted.
- Evidence of an undergraduate or graduate statistics course within 5 years on an official transcript before enrolling in NUR520 – Research Methods in Nursing and NUR520P, the associated practicum.
International students may be required to submit additional materials. To learn more about these additional requirements, visit International Graduate Admissions.
Applications for the DNP/Family Nurse Practitioner track will be reviewed once a year and students will matriculate into the program in the fall. The application deadline for fall 2014 is January 31st, 2014.
All DNP-FNP applicants must complete and submit an admission file that includes:
- Completed online application form . Essay, resume and recommenders can be added at a later time – see below).
- $35 application fee (waived if you apply online)
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended, listing all courses taken and any degree(s) conferred. (See below)
- Professional Essay (see below)
- Three professional letters of recommendation (see below)
- A current Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- A current unencumbered Minnesota Registered Nurse License
- Current immunizations (1/20/2014 – no longer required)
- Evidence of HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Training (below) (1/20/2014 – no longer required)
- Practice/Clinical Hours – If one has completed practice hours as part of a nationally accredited graduate nursing program, submit documentation and number of hours (see below)
How to Apply:
Augsburg’s DNP/FNP application is part of the ApplyYourself Application Network. When you start an application, you will receive a user name and password so that you can return to work on your application. Only after you submit your application will it be available for review by our admissions staff. Go to our ApplyYourself page to begin an online application. Please note, you can “submit” your application without attaching your essay and other components.
Have official academic transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions on their original transcripts (including colleges, universities, and vocational/technical schools and PSEO credits) sent directly to Augsburg. To request a transcript, call or email the registrar’s office at your prior institution. Transcripts from any previous graduate level work are also needed.
Augsburg requires an evaluation of credentials for any transcript(s) from an institution outside of the United States. The evaluation report should be sent directly to the program to which you are applying. Evaluations can be accepted from World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators.
You may request your official transcripts from your past institutes of higher learning and send them to Augsburg College by mail or electronic transfer.
Graduate Admissions Office, CB 65
2211 Riverside Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55454
By electronic transfer:
Augsburg College uses Scrip-Safe, Docufide/Parchment as official transfer services. If you wish to use a different transfer service, please call 612-330-1101 to check on the feasibility of other options. Please send documents to firstname.lastname@example.org .
After you request an electronic transcript, please send an email to email@example.com indicating that a transcript has been ordered. Include your name, desired degree program, electronic transfer service used and the name of the sending institution.
A two-page double-spaced professional essay responding to the following:
Explain why transcultural, holistic, and integrative health education as a Doctorate of Nursing Practice/Family Nurse Practitioner is important in shaping the future of healthcare.
The essay can be uploaded with the application or emailed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note you can submit the application prior to completing your essay.
Three letters of reference from individuals that can give an assessment of your professional and/or academic abilities. When applying online, you will be asked to provide the names and email addresses of three recommenders. Our online application system will then send an email to each recommender with instructions on how to submit a recommendation. Recommenders upload a letter in support of the applicant. Recommenders do have the option to email the letter of recommendation directly to email@example.com.
Documentation verifying the number of practice hours completed in a nationally accredited graduate nursing program (A maximum of 400 practice hours may be transferred into the DNP/FNP track of study from a nationally accredited master’s in nursing program). Many transcripts list practice hours. If the university/college you attended does not record the practice hours on your transcript, a letter from your college or university Department