Theft from auto is the theft of something from inside a vehicle, such as the stereo. The theft of a part, such as a hood ornament or hubcap, is also considered theft from auto.
Auto Theft is when an entire car is stolen. Auto theft is on the rise nationwide.
Car Jacking is the theft of an auto by force. This crime, while highly publicized, is less common than auto theft.
- Always roll up windows, close the sunroof and lock your doors before leaving your vehicle.
- Whenever possible, bring valuables with you once you have parked your car. If you can’t bring them with you, lock all valuables in the trunk and out of sight, whenever your vehicle is parked.
- Make sure you have plenty of gas and windshield washer fluid. Ensure your tires have plenty of air and your spare tire and jack are serviceable.
- Record the make, model, and license number of your car and keep the records in a safe place.
- Park your car in a well-lit area, as close to your destination as possible.
- When returning to your vehicle, keep your keys in hand while walking with confidence and purpose.
- Report any suspicious activity to Augsburg’s Department of Public Safety by calling 612-330-1717 from an off-campus phone or 1717 from an on-campus phone.
- Trust your instincts. If you do not feel comfortable, or if you have any concerns for your safety, call Augsburg Public Safety for an escort.
- Leave cash, credit cards, auto registration or other important papers in plain view or in the glove compartment.
- Leave valuables such as notebook computers, cell phones or MP3 players in your car.
- Take “short-cuts” through dark or unfamiliar areas.