Skip to content
Personal Safety Tips
- Use the “Buddy System.” Walk in groups, if possible, or use the Escort Service.
- Stay in populated areas and avoid “short cuts” through deserted places, alleys, or bushes.
- Know the location of emergency call boxes and courtesy phones on campus.
- Park in well-lit areas as close to your destination as possible.
- Let a family member, friend or roommate know who you are with, where you will be, and when you will return. Leave an address and phone number if possible.
- Hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers.
- Jog alone or in secluded areas. Ask one or more friends to jog with you.
- “Flash” large amounts of money or expensive jewelry.
If You Feel Threatened:
- If you are being followed by a suspicious person, go quickly to a well-lit area and/or group of people.
- If you feel you are in danger or are approached suddenly, yell “Fire!” or “Help, Police!” and scream as loud as you can. Many people have avoided or escaped harm simply by screaming.
- If someone follows you into your driveway, stay in your car with the windows shut and the doors locked. Honk your horn to get the attention of neighbors and scare off the other driver.
- If a car approaches you while you are on foot and you feel threatened, scream and run in the opposite direction from which the car is going.