Bing tracking

Victim Resources

For Immediate Assistance

If your life or safety is in danger, contact the Minneapolis Police Department by calling 9-1-1 or the Augsburg Department of Public Safety at 612-330-1717 or ext. 1717. 

If you have just been sexually assaulted:

  • Get to a safe place—contact the Department of Public Safety or 911 if you are in danger
  • Contact someone you trust
  • Do not: shower, wash, douche, use the rest room, change clothes, comb your hair, clean up the scene, or move items – evidence preservation is essential.
  • Consider seeking medical attention with a SANE Nurse (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner).  The exam may still be effective up to 72 hours later, but the sooner the better to preserve evidence.
  • If you are comfortable doing so, report the incident to: DPS, Student Affairs, CCHP, Campus Ministry, or Residence Life
  • Remember: you are not at-fault!  Healing takes time, and help is available.

For immediate assistance 24 hours per day: you should contact the Department of Public Safety at 612-330-1717 or ext. 1717.  Other options to contact 24 hours per day include:

Augsburg University Resources

Campus Ministry P: 612-330-1732

Center for Counseling and Health Promotion P: 612-330-1707 E:

Department of Public Safety P: 612-330-1717 E:

Residence Life P: 612-330-1488 E:

Student Affairs P: 612-330-1160

Student Affairs Sexual Harassment Web Reporting

Augsburg University Contracted Resource

Aurora Center (Located on U of MN-Twin Cities Campus) 24-Hour Hotline: 612-626-9111* P: 612-626-2929 E: *Provides 24-Hour Assistance

Outside Resources

Casa de Esperanza 24-Hour Bilingual Crisis Line: 651-772-1611* E: *Provides 24-Hour Assistance

Community-University Health Care Center P: 612-638-0700 – Ask for sexual assault advocate.

County Attorney Sexual Assault Advocate P: 612-348-4243   Day One Crisis Line: 1-866-223-1111

East Side Neighborhood Services-Family Violence Program P: 612-787-4056

Harriet Tubman Alliance Crisis Line:  612-825-0000 P: 612-825-3333

Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) – Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner: P: 612-873-5832

Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project Emergency Resources: 612-302-3400 24-Hour Crisis Line/Connection to Shelter: 612-876-9307* (Provided by Asian Women United)

Somali Advocate at Domestic Abuse Service Center: 612-348-5073, 612-348-6396

Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women 24-Hour Phone Line: 1-866-223-1111* P1: 651-646-6177, 1-800-289-6177

Minnesota Indian Women’s Sexual Assault Coalition: P: 651-646-4800, 1-877-995-4800

Minneapolis Police Department-Emergency P: 9-1-1 Minneapolis Police Investigator P: 612-673-3081

Project for Pride In Living – Domestic Violence Resources

Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN) National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

National Sexual Assault Online Hotline

Rape and Sexual Abuse Center: 24-Hour Hotline: 612-825-4357* P: 612-374-9077 TTY: 612-377-4163

Sexual Violence Center: 24-Hour Hotline: 612-871-5111*, 952-448-5425

Sojourner Project Crisis Line: 952-933-7422* P: 952-933-7433 E:

University of Minnesota Health-Riverside Campus Emergency Department (This emergency room is located directly across from Augsburg University at 2450 Riverside Avenue.) P: 612-273-6402

Ongoing Support/Assistance

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is available to assist you in contacting law enforcement (if you wish to do so) and/or emergency medical services as well as other University resources including the Center for Counseling and Health Promotion, Campus Ministry, Residence Life, and Student Affairs.  DPS is also available to provide transportation for medical care.   Sexual Assault victims can choose whether they wish to contact law enforcement and to have the University’s assistance in contacting law enforcement.  The University will contact law enforcement if there is a threat to the campus community, there is an ongoing threat to you, you have a life threatening injury, or you are incapacitated.

Restraining Order/Order for Protection (OFP)

An Order for Protection in a form of restraining order issued in cases involving domestic abuse and has certain requirements about who can obtain an order (as opposed a regular harassment restraining order (HRO)).  With an OFP, the Petitioner brings a petition before a judge alleging domestic abuse:

  • physical harm, bodily injury, or assault;
  • the infliction of fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, or assault; or
  • terroristic threats, criminal sexual conduct, or interference with an emergency call

The petition must also allege the existence of a domestic relationship (i.e. “family or household member”) including:

  • spouses and former spouses;
  • parents and children;
  • persons related by blood;
  • persons who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past;
  • persons who have a child in common regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time;
  • a man and woman if the woman is pregnant and the man is alleged to be the father, regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time; and
  • persons involved in a significant romantic or sexual relationship.

If the Court grants the petition, it will issue an order providing the following relief:

  • restrain the abusing party from committing acts of domestic abuse;
  • exclude the Respondent from your home, work, school, or daycare;
  • require “no contact” in person, by telephone, notes, letters, telegrams, pagers, e-mail or third party;
  • provide other appropriate relief; AND/OR
  • allow the police to arrest the abuser if there is a violation of the Order.

The Court may also grant an “ex parte” petition in emergency circumstances.  “Ex parte” means that only one of the parties is present (i.e. the petitioner).  These are granted and effective immediately when the respondent is served (by law enforcement or by a process server) with a copy of the OFP.  The respondent can request a hearing on the petition as well.  If a hearing is scheduled, the petitioner must prove the allegations by a “preponderance of the evidence,” that is, “more likely than not.”

Minnesota courts have services available to assist petitioners in domestic abuse cases.  In addition, some of the resources listed above have victim advocates available to help guide you through the process.  Minnesota Courts have a Self-Help Center that outlines Minnesota’s domestic abuse laws.

Students in the Metro Area may be able to seek an Order for Protection through the Hennepin County District Court or the Ramsey County District Court.  Both courts have domestic abuse centers that can provide assistance to petitioners.

Domestic Abuse Service Center
Hennepin County Government Center
Rm. #A-0650 (lower level)
300 S. 6th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55487
Phone: (612)348-5073

Domestic Abuse/Harassment
Ramsey County District Court Juvenile and Family Justice Center (JFJC)
Suite B-122
25 W. Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102
Phone: (651) 266-5130

Students in Rochester can contact the Olmstead County District Court regarding OFPs:

Olmstead County District Court
151 Fourth St. S.E.
Rochester, MN 55904
Phone:(507) 206-2400

On-Campus Accommodations

Where feasible, the University will assist with on-campus accommodations including potential changes to living arrangements or class schedules, or University no contact orders.