K-12 and 5-12 licensures in several content areas are offered in a traditional day school and weekend program. These accredited programs include:
5-12th grade licensure:
- communication arts/literature and social studies (day, weekend/evening)
- health, mathematics (day)
9-12th grade licensure in life science, chemistry, and physics (day); a middle school (5-8th grade general science endorsement can be added onto the 9-12th grade license.)
Augsburg students (teacher candidate) progress through the program at several transition points. Teacher candidates must successfully complete the requirement at each transition point. Your adviser and the program assessment coordinator monitor your progress at critical points. These transition points include:
Admission to the Education Department – Secondary Licensure Undergraduate Program – Initial License
Requirements to be admitted to the Education Department include:
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better in all college coursework.
- Taking the MTLE test of basic skills in reading, writing and math.
- One recommendation from an Augsburg faculty and another recommendation from a person who knows you and/or your work (excluding family members).
- A signed candidate statement form.
- A signed secondary clearance form from your secondary content adviser.
- Completing an entrance survey.
Mid-Program Transition: To stay in the program you must be able to
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in their major and education coursework.
- Achieve no lower than a 2.0 in all major, and required licensure courses.
- Demonstrate ability to work successfully with K-12 students in field placement settings throughout their programs.
- Demonstrate professional behavior in on-campus courses.
Admission to Student Teaching: In order to apply to student teach you will need to:
- Maintain all required GPA standards: 2.5 minimum overall and in major.
- Pass or demonstrate significant progress in completion of MTLE Basic Skills testing.
- Achieve a minimum of 2.0 in all required courses for undergraduate candidates and 2.5 for graduate candidates in graduate level courses.
- A signed secondary clearance form from your content adviser.
- Complete all required coursework, including clinical hours, or petitioned for an exception.
- Pass all MTLE Basic Skills Tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics.
- Remain in good standing within the department.
Finishing Student Teaching and Completion of Licensure Requirements: You must be able to:
- Successfully complete student teaching and all student teaching requirements.
- Complete the Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA).
- Pass the MTLE Pedagogy and Content Test(s) for licensure area.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check.
- Complete an Exit Survey for the program.