Instructor and Director of the Health Commons
Katie Clark has been at Augsburg College since 2009. In this role, she has directed the Augsburg Central Health Commons and the Health Commons in Cedar-Riverside. Katie’s main area of expertise is working with those who are marginalized in our society, as she has developed unique experiences for Augsburg nursing students to learn about the health and healing of those who are displaced.
Katie previously worked for eight years as a nurse at University of Minnesota Medical Center – University Campus in both oncology and the medical ICU. She has traveled to 20 different countries and participated in many local volunteer programs, such as the Bridge for Youth and Higher Ground. In her spare time, Katie enjoys being outdoors and spending time with family and friends. Katie and her husband recently welcomed a baby girl into their family.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing: University of Wisconsin – Eau Clare
- Masters of Arts in Nursing with a Transcultural Nursing Emphasis: Augsburg College
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: Augsburg College
Professional Publications, Presentations, and Awards
- The Development of the Health Commons Model. 2nd Annual International Public Health Nursing Conference 2011. Saint Paul, Minnesota.
- Using Sports When Intervening with Homeless Youth in Minneapolis. Faculty Seminar Development 2011. Santiago, Chile.
- Panel Presenter. Creating an Inclusive Campus Conference 2012. Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Health Commons: Partners Improving Health Outcomes for East African Community. Community Health Conference 2012. Brainerd, Minnesota.
- Health Commons received the 2013 President’s Civic Engagement Stewards Award from Minnesota Campus Compact
- From Research to Action: Creating a Drop-in Health Center that Addresses the Needs of Somali Refugees in Minnesota. 4th Annual North American Refugee Health Conference 2014. Rochester, New York.
- The Health Commons: A Handbook of Nursing Practice (2014). Raleigh, North Carolina: Lulu Press, Inc.