Department of Languages & Cross-Cultural Studies
I have lived in Minnesota since 1994. Before that I was in Los Angeles, where I finished my Ph.D. at UCLA. I am originally from Iran. My mother was French, and she met my father in Paris, where he was a medical student. Later they moved from Paris to Tehran and had four children. We were all born and raised in Tehran, but we all speak French and are 100% bilingual in French and Farsi. I had to learn English when I moved to the USA after the Islamic Revolution, so I truly understand what a challenging task awaits our students in their goal of discovering new cultures.
In addition to French and Farsi, I teach Women’s Studies and French literature and culture. My research at UCLA was focused on late twentieth-century writers, mainly Michel Tournier and Claude Simon. I also worked on Pierrette Fleutiaux and a number of North African writers such as Assia Djebar, Leila Sebbar, and Amin Maalouf.
Besides academia, I had many other “lives”: translator, real estate agent, entertainment business consultant, etc. I even worked for Walt Disney Corporation!
Currently I am involved in the preservation of old houses, various film projects with my spouse and my students, and animal welfare. I am a wannabe vegan.
- B.A., National University, Tehran
- M.A., University of Nice
- Ph.D., UCLA
- Michel Tournier: marginalité et création. New York: Peter Lang, 1998.
- “Le regard et la mort dans une nouvelle de Michel Tournier”. Published in Francographies, 1999, Fordham University, New York.
- “L’écriture-fétiche: le dialogue des cultures dans Les Carnets de Shérazade de Leila Sebbar”. Published in Francographies, 1998, Fordham University, New York.
- “L’odalisque en fuite:une lecture d’Assia Djebar” in Francographies, Fordham University, New York, 1995.
- “Le nez d’Alexandre: une étude de la marginalité dans Les Météores de Michel Tournier” in El Senso del Nonsenso, University of Perugia, Italy, 1995.
- “Nazisme et rédemption: la figure ambivalente du cavalier dans Le Roi des Aulnes”in Romance Languages Annual, 1994, vol. V. Purdue University, West Lafayette.
- “La goutte d’or: pour une rhétorique de l’image” in Francographies, Fordham University, 1993.
- “Les Météores: pour une parabole de la communication” in Romance Languages Annual, 1992, vol. III. Purdue University, West Lafayette.