Staff/Faculty Spotlight – Fidel Xinico Tum

Happy New Year!

As we enter into 2015, I am reminded – again – of the years of commitment many CGE staff members have made (12 years on average).  This longevity is a benefit for host communities and our students/participants.

My 2015 resolution is to do a better job of highlighting our staff members and sharing their stories.  First up is Fidel Xinico, CGE’s program coordinator in Guatemala.  Fidel shared a few thoughts to the following questions:

In what year did you start with CGE?  1993

Can you tell our blog readers a bit about your life, personal or professional? I am a Guatemalan citizen of the Cakchiquel Maya ethnic group. In 1975-1979, I studied at the Catholic High School San Jose Seminary in Sololá.  In 1980-1982, I studied at Francisco Marroquín University in Guatemala City, where I received a B.A. in Secondary Education and Philosophy. In 1984, I attended an ELS program at Hamline University in Minnesota.  Also, in 1984, I  received a scholarship from the New Ulm Dioceses of Minnesota to study at St. Paul Seminary at the University of St. Thomas in where I graduated with a M. Div. in 1988.

In the past, I have worked with the San Lucas Tolimán Parish and as a teacher.

I mostly work in Guatemala, but I have also led seminars in  Mexico City, Chiapas, Cuba, Bolivia, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.

What is the most rewarding part of your work with CGE: Being aware of the social-economic reality of my country and other countries in the world.

Are there any particular stories/encounters from resource people/speakers that are poignant for you personally or for our participants?  Participation in a Mayan ceremony has been a key component of programming in Guatemala. It is an opportunity for participants to access the heart of Mayan culture, the majority of population.

Hobbies/personal interests: Travel, soccer, movies

Where is your favorite place to travel and/or what is your dream destination for the future?  My favorite places to travel are Bolivia and Peru. My dream destination for the future is Europe.

Thank you Fidel, for your 22 years of service to CGE and Augsburg College!