WHO WE ARE
The Center for Global Education and Experience (CGEE) is one of Augsburg College’s four “Centers of Commitment”.
CGEE provides transformative global experiential programming to Augsburg College and to institutions across the United States. The Center also guides and supports the global initiatives at Augsburg College and leads the college’s internationalization efforts.
WHAT WE DO
CGEE operates Augsburg’s Global Sites in Central America, Mexico, and Southern Africa. Our programming in each region includes an emphasis on social justice and community engagement. We provide global experiences for students, institutions for higher education, non-profit organizations, businesses, churches, and others. These experiences include:
CGEE encompasses the off-campus study office at Augsburg College. We support all Auggie students, faculty, and staff who want to participate in a global or domestic experiential off-campus program, at one of our own CGEE Global Sites, or coordinated with a university exchange partner or an affiliate organization.
Faculty and Staff Global Resource
The Center serves as a resource to Augsburg’s faculty and staff to develop and enhance global engagement in the classroom, and in their research and scholarship.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Since our formation in 1979, programs at our Global Sites have been inspired by Paulo Freire’s philosophy of popular education, as well as other critical, experiential, feminist, indigenous, and postcolonial pedagogies that foment transformation.
Our longevity in the communities in which we operate, our commitment to social justice, and our 35 years’ experience with intentional, intercultural, experiential programming, make us unparalleled in the experiences we are able to provide our participants.
Recognition and Awards
- 2016 – GoAbroad’s list of Top Rated Study Abroad Programs of 2016, notable mention (Exploring Peace, Justice, and Community Engagement in Central America semester program)
- 2014 – Best Practices in International Education Exchange Award from NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- 2012-2013 – PRIDE Award from Augsburg College (Mexico site)
- 2012 – GoAbroad’s Innovation in Access and Equity Award
- 2006- Council on Social Work Education’s Partners in International Education Award
- 2003 – National Society for Experiential Education (NSSE) Program of the Year Award
CGEE is a member of the following professional organizations: Diversity Abroad, The Forum on Education Abroad, NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Institute for International Education (IIE), and the Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA). CGEE is also committed to Generation Study Abroad.