CGE is nationally recognized for its work in experiential, intercultural, and educational travel opportunities. More than 10,000 people have participated in our international travel seminars, which are well-known and respected for exposing travelers to a variety of points of view, especially the perspectives of those working for justice and human dignity. CGE also operates undergraduate summer and semester abroad programs in Mexico, Central America, Cuba, the Netherlands, and Southern Africa, which have served over 1,600 students from more than 300 institutions of higher education.
The mission of the Center for Global Education at Augsburg College is to provide cross-cultural educational opportunities in order to foster critical analysis of local and global conditions so that personal and systemic change takes place, leading to a more just and sustainable world.
CGE is a part of Augsburg College, a private college of the liberal arts and sciences located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
What Makes Our Program Unique?
- An environment where diversity is respected and where students, faculty, and staff encourage the discussion and responses to various forms of oppression such as racism, sexism, homophobia, economic inequality, xenophobia, and classism.
- An ethnically and culturally diverse staff of North Americans, Africans, Asians, and Latin Americans who coordinate educational programs and teach courses.
- Opportunities to explore your own heritage, ethnicity and identity.
- Scholarships for students who’ve been historically under-represented in international programs.
- Face-to-face engagement with peoples from diverse ethnic backgrounds struggling for justice in other regions of the world.
- Hands-on opportunities to meet and discuss current issues with people at the grassroots level.
- Opportunities to expand your worldview and challenge your perceptions about global justice and human liberation.
- Opportunity to improve your professional and financial potential by participating in a life-changing experience that will add value to your studies and possible entry into an international career.
- Strengthen intercultural communication and leadership skills.
Recognition and Awards
- 2014 – Best Practices in International Education Exchange Award from NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- 2012-2013 – PRIDE Award from Augsburg College (Mexico site)
- 2012 – GoAbroad’s Innovation in Access and Equity Award
- 2006- Council on Social Work Education’s Partners in International Education Award
- 2003 – National Society of Experiential Educator’s Program of the Year Award