Semester Programs Abroad
The comprehensive fee for any semester program is $17,500 per semester (2013-14 academic year). This includes tuition, room and board, emergency travel insurance, and in-country costs.
Students are responsible for their round-trip airfare to the location from the U.S. (group flights are arranged by CGE for Southern Africa, Central America and Cuba), books and personal spending money, including time during scheduled breaks.
Purpose of the Scholarships
The Center for Global Education strives to create for its students an intentionally diverse community of co-learners in which a variety of cultures and backgrounds is represented. Students, faculty, and staff help each other form responses to issues of oppression such as racism, sexism, homophobia, economic inequality, xenophobia, and classism in an environment where diversity expands the range of understanding. Towards this end, the Center offers scholarships for students who belong to historically disadvantaged groups.
The Center for Global Education offers a range of scholarships and financial aid to students with demonstrated financial need and whose participation in a semester or summer academic program contributes to a community of co-learners that values a variety of cultures and backgrounds. In the year 2011-2012, CGE awarded more than $60,000 in discounts and scholarships.
- The Diversity Scholarship is for students who have not traditionally been represented in study abroad, specifically ethnic minority and LGBT students. Awards cover up to $6,000 off the cost of a semester program abroad.
- The Need-Based Scholarship is available for students with demonstrated financial need. Awards cover up to $2,000 of the cost of a semester program abroad.
- Augsburg students receive an “Auggie discount” of $1,000 on their first semester program.
- PJSA Member Discount is available for students whose home school is a member of the Peace and Justice Studies Association. Automatic award of $500 toward a semester study abroad program in any CGE location. This discount cannot be applied to the Social Work in a Latin America Context program.
- Returnee Scholarship: Automatic discount off a second semester program for students who combine two semester programs during their college career. There are no forms to submit for this discount.
The CGE Semester Program Scholarship Process: Three Simple Steps
1) Submit the Scholarship Application Form as part of the Program Application. The scholarship application (which covers both the need-based and the diversity scholarships) is embedded in the program application for a streamlined process. A separate form is needed for the PJSA discount, and no forms are needed for the Partnership, Auggie, or Returnee Scholarship/Discounts.
Deadlines—for both program acceptance and scholarships—are: Spring: October 15 • Fall: April 1. Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis.
2) Students receive early notification on a rolling basis for Need-Based Scholarships. Early, rolling decisions on scholarship awards is a service we offer to assist students in confidently proceeding with the program decision process.
3) Students who also apply for the Diversity Scholarship will be considered for those awards after the application deadline.
The semester program discount and scholarships listed above can be combined and can be awarded multiple times, unless otherwise noted above.
The Center for Global Education reserves the right to alter the terms, conditions, and amount of these discounts, scholarships, and awards at any time.
Application Materials and Forms
Applicants for the Diversity Scholarship and Need-Based Financial Aid must submit a Scholarship and Financial Aid Application Form.
PJSA Member Scholarships are awarded only after students submit a PJSA Membership Confirmation Form to receive the aid.
For the Partner Scholarship and Returnee discount, no forms are required; please inquire with CGE with questions and to verify your school’s partner status.
Awards are outlined above and will be applied toward the cost of the semester or summer program in which the applicant is enrolled. Cost refers to tuition, fees, room, board, emergency insurance, and program-related excursions.
Recipients will be notified via email approximately four weeks after the deadline. Students will be asked to confirm acceptance of the award and agreement to comply with the return requirement.
Awards will be based on demonstrated student need and the information provided in the scholarship application and essay.
Scholarship recipients agree to submit a one-page essay or testimonial upon their return. The essay must describe how the study abroad experience and this scholarship assisted you in meeting your current and future goals. Submissions become the property of the Center for Global Education and any excerpts/images may be used in fundraising and marketing materials.