Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled full-time at Augsburg College
- Sophomore or Junior class status
- 2.8 cumulative GPA (minimum)
- U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
- First-generation college student who is low-income AND/OR a member of a group underrepresented in graduate study (American Indian, Hispanic/Latino, African American, Native Alaskan)
Additionally, as a McNair Scholar you must:
- Have the desire to pursue and be successful at doctoral studies.
- Conduct intensive research at Augsburg or off-campus during the summer (cannot be employed or taking summer coursework during research)
- Attend a two-day McNair retreat.
- Attend McNair seminars covering graduate school experience, application process, and GRE preparation during the school year.
- Take a tuition-free .5 academic credit spring course, Research in the Disciplines.
- Apply for at least three graduate programs during the fall semester of your senior year.
- Be open-minded.
- Be positive.
- Be a team player.
- Seek and provide constructive feedback.
- Be supportive of your peers.
- Be willing to participate in and contribute your unique self to a rich learning community.
- “Never, never, never give up.” ~ Winston Churchill.