With the growing number of multiracial students and transition in leadership in each department this umberal was created to label the space in which we serve students. Multicultural Student Services IS NOT A DEPARTMENT. Since the existence of the 4 departments in 1993, the space and departments were known as Ethnic Student Service Directors or Ethnic Directors. In 2013, to be more inclusive to our student and campus partners, Multicultural Student Services was established to connect students, departments and community. MSS is essential the artificial glue of the 4 departments.
Multicultural Student Services serves as an umbrella for the following departments: American Indian Student Services, Latinx Student Services, Pan Afrikan Center, and Pan Asian Student Services; providing advising, mentoring, support, and fellowship to ethnically diverse students. Services provided by Multicultural Student Services include:
- Assisting students with the admissions process and financial aid application
- Providing academic advising and course planning
- Offering counseling services (personal, social, and cultural) including interventions, crisis counseling, and advocacy
- Fostering student security and comfort
- Providing opportunities to network with other students, faculty, staff, and alumni of color
- Offering community and professional referrals, networking opportunities, and information for jobs and internships
- Supporting and assisting admissions in the recruitment of ethnically diverse students
- Assisting with new student orientation and registration
- Assisting in the social and cultural transition to college
- Advising student organizations including Augsburg Indigenous Student Association (AISA), Pan-Afrikan Student Union (PASU), Augsburg Asian Student Association (AASA), Muslim Student Association (MSA), and Augsburg Latin American Students (ALAS)
- Offering scholarship opportunities as well as assists in seeking/provides resources for other scholarships
- Assisting Scholastic Connections program in seeking mentors
Multicultural Student Services
Office Location: Oyate’ Commons, Christensen Center basement
The four individual programs (American Indian Student Services, Latinx Student Services, Pan Afrikan Center and Pan Asian Student Services) are housed together in the basement of the Christensen Center building in Suite 2. The space is shared with Study Away/Abroad (2 staff) and International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) (3 staff). In 2014 we named the space Oyate’ Commons in recognition of the first inhabitants of this land, the Dakota people. Oyate’ is the Dakota word that translates in english to “the people” or “the nation”.
American Indian Student Services
Latinx Student Services
Pan Afrikan Center
Pan Asian Student Services
Director: Hli Vang
Pan-Asian Student Services Website
UPCOMING EVENT: Multicultural Student Services Welcome Back Cookout
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 @ Murphy Square
Free Food, Drinks, Music
Upcoming Event: Fall Leadership Retreat
Register today: 2018 Fall Readership Registration
Friday, Sept 21 – Sunday, Sept 23, 2018 @ Camp Friendship — about 1 hr 15 minutes from campus.
NOTE: A $10 deposit is required to hold your spot. You may drop off your deposit at Oyate Commons after the first day of classes. If this is a difficulty, please see one of the MSS directors or ISSS advisors.
DEADLINE: Friday, September 14th at 12:00 noon.
Join student organizations from Multicultural Student Services & International Student and Scholar Services for our annual Fall Leadership Retreat!
Each year, we take students off campus for the weekend to build community, engage in important discussions, gain leadership tools and have fun!
Student organizations who plan the FLR consist of:
Augsburg Indigenous Student Association
Augsburg Asian Student Associations
Augsburg Latin American Students
Pan Afrikan Student Union
International Student Association