When are auditions held?
Most auditions are held during Augsburg’s Explore Music Days in October and January. Registration for these dates will be available early each semester
- Thursday, October 18, 2018 (registration link coming soon!)
- Friday, January 25, 2019
How do I sign up for an audition slot?
To apply for a Fine Arts Scholarship, prospective students must be admitted to the University and complete the Fine Arts Scholarship application. When all of the forms have been received, the University will contact the student to set up an audition time. The application process for scholarships can be found here.
If not interested in the Fine Arts Scholarship or the deadline has already passed, look for the sign-up sheet outside the Band and Choir rooms (M2 and M3) in the Music building posted the first day of school and sign up for a time slot.
What should I have prepared?
For the Fine Arts Scholarship: All auditioning prospective students are asked to prepare solos demonstrating the best of your abilities as a musician. Audition slots are 5-10 minutes in length but may be lengthened if need be.
Tips for auditions?
- Make sure to apply early if seeking a Fine Arts Scholarship.
- Start preparing NOW and pick something you feel comfortable performing.
- Do mock auditions in front of your friends and family to get over those nerves.
- Make sure your instrument is in proper working condition.
- Get plenty of sleep the night before.
- For instrumentalists, bring your instrument if you can, otherwise contact the Music Department about the possibility of using an Augsburg instrument. Percussionists are required to bring their own sticks and mallets; instruments will be provided, however bringing your own snare/cymbals/kick-pedal/etc. is encouraged.
General Ensemble Questions
Most ensemble information sessions or auditions happen the first week of classes at Augsburg. Information is posted on the bulletin boards located in the Music Hall between M2 & M3 rehearsal rooms.
If you have specific questions regarding the ensemble requirements, audition process or repertoire – Please feel free to contact the appropriate faculty member listed below. They would be happy to discuss the process and give recommendations.
Erika Svanoe, Augsburg Concert Band, instrumental auditions
Kristina Boerger, vocal auditions – All Choirs
Mark Sedio, vocal auditions – Masterworks Chorale
Jill Dawe, piano auditions
Rafael Rodriquez, The Augsburg Orchestra, string auditions
Rafael Rodriquez, Augsburg Jazz, jazz auditions