Auggies are achievers: Success after college

COMPILED BY WENDI WHEELER ’06

Each year, Augsburg College mints hundreds of new graduates who go on to continued education in graduate schools and workplaces across the nation. Preparing students for success is a key part of an Augsburg education and central to the College’s mission of educating students to be informed citizens, thoughtful stewards, critical thinkers, and responsible leaders. Here’s a snapshot of facts and figures—and student stories—that show how recent Auggie graduates are having an impact early in their careers.

• Each year, more than 100 employers visit campus to recruit students or to participate in career-related events including Fairview Riverside Hospitals and Clinics, the federal government, KDV consulting, KPMG, Target Corporation, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans™, and Twin Cities television and radio stations
  • More than 60 percent of Augsburg students engage in internships and major-related work with business, non-profit, and government employers, gaining professional experience before graduation
  • More than 90 percent of Augsburg students are fully employed or enrolled in graduate school within 18 months of graduation
  • The Clair and Gladys Strommen Center for Meaningful Work provides individualized assistance with choosing a major, finding an internship, writing resumes, developing interviewing skills, attending job fairs, and helping students find meaningful work after college

• Graduates from the class of 2012 secured full-time employment with organizations including: 3M, Advanced Medical Electronics, Air Force Research Labs, Ameriprise Financial, Cargill, Comcast, Dart Transit Company, Delfi Technologies Inc., Delta Airlines, Hennepin County, Marriott, the Mayo Clinic, the Minnesota Department of Revenue, Minnesota Twins, Piper Jaffray, Prudential, Regions Hospital, Robert Half Technology, Robotics Redefined Inc., Sherwin-Williams, Target Corp., Teach for America, Thomson Reuters, University of Minnesota, and Wells Fargo
LAURIE BARGER ’13
Laurie Barger ’13

LAURIE BARGER ’13

Associate Analyst—Merchandising and Business Intelligence, Target Corporation

At Augsburg: Mathematics and Spanish major, played on the women’s soccer team, studied abroad in Mexico and Cuba, tutored for the Mathematics Department, volunteered at a local social service agency doing taxes for low-income families, member of the Augsburg Business Association

“From the moment I stepped on campus, I knew that Augsburg was going to give me the drive, motivation, and opportunities I would need to become successful. Through networking and community involvement, making strong relationships with my professors and peers, as well as being educated in a high-level, real-world environment, I was able to build a résumé that made me stand out from everyone else. With the help of the Strommen Center and my professors, I was able to confidently take what I had learned and comfortably transition from a full-time student and intern to a full-time employee.”

JOHANNA FRYKMARK KITZMAN ’10
Johanna Frykmark Kitzman ’10

JOHANNA FRYKMARK KITZMAN ’10

EDI implementation analyst, SPS Commerce

At Augsburg: Double major in international business and business management, Honors program, co-captain of women’s golf team, worked in the alumni relations office

“When I moved from Sweden to begin school at Augsburg, it was the first time I had set foot in the U.S. The international student staff, my golf coach, my team, and my professors all helped me get past my homesickness and establish friendships. Thanks to their support, I finished my degree and today I am happily married, am working in the city, and own my very own American house in the suburbs.”

Jens Olson
Jens Olson ’10

JENS OLSON ’10

Medical student, University of Minnesota Medical School

At Augsburg: Biology major, Honors program, did research related to asthma and presented at a national conference, first-year orientation leader, studied abroad in Vietnam, volunteered and worked at hospitals, was a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in Vietnam

“Augsburg’s emphasis on service and openness to all members of our world community not only aligned with my beliefs but helped me develop and shape myself into who I am today. The experiences I had at Augsburg and the relationships I developed with staff and faculty helped me decide that I wanted to serve others as a doctor and then get into medical school—definitely an accomplishment I am proud of.”

kathleen Watson
Kathleen Watson ’12

KATHLEEN WATSON ’12

Editorial assistant at a GLBT media company that produces a bi-monthly magazine, web content, international news, and podcasts/entertainment

At Augsburg: Double major in theater arts and English, Honors program, Honors house president, did research on dramaturgy, member of Feminist Collective

“My experience at Augsburg College allowed me to not only create a successful and fulfilling career—it allowed me to embrace and love who I am and use my talents and skills to work for a community I believe in. My job truly feels like my vocation: I’m using my gifts to meet a need in a community I advocate for and support.”