In January 2013, the Augsburg College Board of Regents launched a strategic planning initiative that involved conversation and input from across the campus community. The outcome of that work is a strategic vision statement that looks out to 2019, Augsburg’s sesquicentennial year:
In 2019, Augsburg College will be a new kind of student-centered, urban university that is small to our students and big for the world.
“Small to our students” reflects the relationships, community, and personal attention that are hallmarks of the educational experience at Augsburg. “Big for the world” acknowledges the significant impact we know our students—and alumni—do and will make in the world.
The strategic plan is grounded in Augsburg’s mission statement, which was updated in 2010. The plan is organized into three categories, or dimensions, each with three goals. Detail about each of the strategic planning dimensions is provided on the next page. The strategic vision will anchor the College’s institutional initiatives and priorities throughout the next five years, reflecting the values and commitments stated in our mission:
Augsburg educates students to be informed citizens, thoughtful stewards, critical thinkers, and responsible leaders. The Augsburg experience is supported by an engaged community that is committed to intentional diversity in its life and work. An Augsburg education is defined by excellence in the liberal arts and professional studies, guided by the faith and values of the Lutheran church, and shaped by its urban and global settings.
Educating for lives of purpose
The first dimension articulates OUR ACADEMIC DISTINCTION: Augsburg educates students for lives of purpose. The goals in this category challenge us to:
- rigorously integrate the liberal arts and the professional studies;
- use high-impact teaching and learning practices, enriched by our core commitments of faith and spiritual inquiry, vocational discernment, civic engagement, and global understanding; and
- provide each student with pathways for success to graduation and beyond.
At the table
The second dimension focuses on OUR REPUTATION AND IDENTITY: Augsburg is “at the table” with our neighbors and institutional partners in shaping education to address the world’s needs. The goals here call on us to:
- prepare an intentional mix of diverse learners for a complex, interconnected world;
- provide experiential opportunities that enable students to discover their gifts, discern their vocations, and open doors to careers; and
- publicly advance the core commitments that enrich our learning environment—faith and spiritual inquiry, vocational discernment, civic engagement, and global understanding.
Built for the future
The third dimension is about how OUR INSTITUTION WILL THRIVE NOW AND IN THE FUTURE. The goals in this category call on Augsburg to be:
- a welcoming, sustainable campus, anchored in our community and designed for educational excellence;
- organized for collaboration, efficiency, and effectiveness; and
- committed to maintaining a sound and sustainable financial footing.