The Minnesota Literacy Council is excited to announce a couple of openings at the literacy council that may interest some of your students at Augsburg University. Please read below to find the listings.
Summer Reads VISTA | Students can apply to be a VISTA tutor and help change a child’s life this summer with Summer Reads. VISTAs tutor children (K-3) from low income backgrounds in reading, writing and oral language skills. Your student could serve in the metro Twin Cities area full-time for 8 weeks from June 11 – August 5 in schools or community organizations, in most Summer Reads locations.
Summer Reads Outreach Specialist | This position supports the 78 Summer Reads VISTA tutors across the state by helping with training, peer support and resource-sharing and evaluation, in addition to serving at a tutoring site. Outreach Specialist serve for 10 weeks from June 4 – August 12.
Candidates for both positions will need to be at least 18 years of age by June 4th(for Outreach Specialist) or June 11th(for VISTA tutor), and be a U.S citizens or legal permanent resident. No prior educational degree required. The positions come with great benefits listed below:
- Personal/professional development
- Pre-service & in-service training
- Educational Award of $1,272 at end of service or substitute for a $276 stipend
- $472 bi-weekly living stipend
Literacy VISTA | As a Literacy VISTA with the Minnesota Literacy Council, students will pave the road for stronger literacy programming for children, youth or adults. VISTAs serve full time for one year at a non-profit organization, school or library. Duties may include program development, evaluation, fundraising, community assessment, volunteer engagement, curriculum development, and more. Literacy VISTA members receive:
- Professional and personal development opportunities & Extensive training
- Marketable management skills
- Living allowance ($472 bi-weekly)
- $5,920 education award or $1,800 stipend at end of service
- Health care benefits
- Federal student loan forbearance
- Relocation allowance (if moving 50+ miles for service)
- One year of non-competitive status for federal employment
No prior educational degree required. Must be at least 18 years old and a US Citizen, national or permanent legal resident, asylee, refugee, or have DACA status. To apply, visit our website here.