As a member of The Association of College and University Housing Officers International (ACUHO-I), Augsburg College upholds the Resident’s Rights & Responsibilities as defined by ACUHO-I.
Residents in university housing facilities possess specific individual and group rights while engaged in activities that are part of university life. With these rights, residents have reciprocal responsibilities to ensure these same rights for other residents. Housing personnel should educate residents regarding these rights and responsibilities that are associated with community living and use them as a guide in making decisions concerning resident welfare and behavior. The following statements define minimal expectations regarding these rights and responsibilities.
Residents have the right…
- To have reasonable access to their living accommodations based on a published schedule of occupancy.
- To live in a clean and secure environment.
- To facilities and programs that support the pursuit of academic success.
- To expect a regionally competitive price on housing accommodations and/or food service.
- To have access to written copies of university housing rules and regulations, or individual building policies that govern individual and group behavior.
- To the respect and safety of personal property.
- To study without interruption or interference.
- To be free from unreasonable noise.
- To be free of intimidation or harassment.
- To express themselves freely within established guidelines.
- To expect enforcement of housing agreement/contract.
- To have direct access to staff who provide assistance, guidance, and support as needed.
- To host guests, within established guidelines.
- To receive equitable treatment when behavior is in question.
- To enjoy individual freedoms regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
- To participate in resident governmental bodies, and housing departmental committees.
- To have access to individual and group social, educational, and developmental opportunities in their living community.
Residents have the responsibility…
- To adhere to rules and regulations.
- To comply with reasonable requests made by staff, or university officials, or fellow residents.
- To meet payment schedules for room, board, and other required housing fees.
- To monitor and accept responsibility for behavior of guests.
- To report violations of rules and regulations to appropriate staff.
- To respect the rights of others, as stated above.
- To respect the diverse backgrounds and interests of those others who are different from them.
- To treat others in a civil manner and manage conflict in a mature manner.
- To be serious in their academic pursuits.
- To participate actively in self-governance.
- To participate in housing departmental committees as requested.
- To express themselves individually, or by association with groups.
- To participate in judicial proceedings to determine appropriate standards of behavior.
- To contribute positively to the community by participating in educational and developmental activities.
(from ACUHO-I Statement of Resident’s Rights and Responsibilities, Approved 1987, Revised 2002)