Congressman Martin Olav Sabo ’59 represented Minnesota’s Fifth Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives for 28 years and became a fixture in the Democratic party. In 2007, he retired from Congress.
To read about Martin Sabo’s last days in his U.S. House office, go to page 18 of the Spring 2007 issue of Augsburg Now.
The Sabo Center was founded on lessons that come from Representative Sabo’s work. These lessons focus on the role and character of citizenship in a vibrant democracy and guide our practice:
- Civic engagement is a result of good citizenship
- Successful political process depends on deliberative practice
- Political leadership is a vocation in democracy
- The art of politics is about how to get things done
- Good decisions should be guided by values