Social Work Honor Society Phi Alpha Augsburg Chapter Omicron Delta
In 2008 there was an official ceremony inducting the Omicron Delta chapter of the national social work honor society Phi Alpha to the Social Work Department of Augsburg University.
The purpose of Phi Alpha Honor Society is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
Its motto is: “Through Knowledge – the challenge to serve.”
The BSW Forum
Learn valuable skills in working within an organization as a BSW forum representative. The BSW Forum is an official committee of the Social Work Department that working along with the BSW Director gives input into these areas:
- Input on course content
- Course Scheduling
- Resources to publicize your or classmates’ activities
- Coordinate evens with the social work honor society
- Discuss social work student quality of school life issues
- Proposal and planning of events hosted by the Social Work Department
- A chance to meet other class members
- Establish a legacy – leaving something behind for future classes
The Steen Torstenson Award
This is an annual honorary recognition by the Social Work Department of an outstanding social work senior. The names of the students receiving the award are listed to be displayed in the department. The award is in honor of Paul Steen and Joel Torstensen, both faculty emeriti of Augsburg University who taught many years in the Sociology Department and founded the Social Work Department. Both were instrumental in developing the social work major in the 1960s and were active forces in Minnesota social work and the cause of social justice.
- Academic excellence
- Commitment to the profession of social work
- Service to the community
- Students will nominate fellow seniors (one from each program)
- Department faculty members select students to receive the award
- Recipients are announced at the annual Senior Party