What is Networking?
- Involves connecting with people who work in a field you are wanting to learn more about or break into
- Is the most effective way to learn about job positions and obtain job positions
- Does NOT involve asking for a job
- It is all about building relationships
How do you Network?
- Talk to everyone about your job search or career path
- Request informational interviews
- Find a connection/conversation starter with people you want to network with
- Check out the Augsburg Builds Connections (ABC) program to connect with an alum in your field of interest!
- Be sure to meet with a Strommen career staff person before completing the Student Application for the ABC program to get more information on how to prepare for your networking meeting.
- Use social media to find connections – We suggest creating a LinkedIn profile to seek out individuals you are connected to who are in positions or companies you are interested in exploring
- Attend events or conferences that give you an opportunity to mingle and meet new people in your industry area of interest – check our our events page to find upcoming opportunities to network
Who do you Network with?
- Friends and family
- Augsburg faculty and staff
- Work contacts
- Internship connections
- Professional associations (Check out “Resources for my Major”)
- LinkedIn connections