What is the Great Lakes Career Ready Internship Grant?
The Career Ready Internship Program is grant-funded through the Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation, and is designed to help Augsburg Juniors and Seniors with financial need participate in career-meaningful, PAID internships. Complete details on the program, all requirements, pay, and how to apply are listed in the Student FAQ below. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THROUGH THE FAQ BEFORE APPLYING.
Why would I participate?
- This grant will allow you to gain real world work experience AND get paid to do so. Through the grant, you can gain valuable experience that might have been unpaid without the grant.
- The grant allows you to obtain a career-related, paid internship in place of part-time work that may not be related to your career aspirations.
- Internships are highly valued by employers as well as graduate schools and often times can lead to full-time employment opportunities.
Who is eligible?
- Students must have Junior or Senior status at time of the internship.
- Students must be financial aid eligible as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are eligible for FEDERAL work study, you are typically eligible for the grant.
- Students must maintain Title IV Satisfactory Academic Progress. These requirements can be found here.
- Under the stipulations of the grant maker, the following students are NOT eligible for the grant:
- DACA/undocumented students
- international students
- graduate students
- students participating in student teaching and nursing practicums
- students who have graduated
- Internships during the academic year will include up to 12 hours per week for 16 weeks for a total of 192 hours. Hours awarded for summer internships may vary. Certain research and STEM positions may be awarded up to 24 hours per week for 12 weeks (total of 288 hours). All other Summer internships will be awarded a maximum of 194 hours total (16 hours per week for 12 weeks).
Internships must be directly related to the student’s major and provide the student with meaningful major-related work experience.
How do I apply for an internship through the Program?
You application involves TWO steps, applying for the grant itself AND applying for a specific internship. Complete details on how to apply are listed in the Student FAQ below.
1. Apply for the grant using the Augsburg College Human Resource Department work study system.
- Log into Inside Augsburg (AugNet)
- Click on “On-Campus Student Jobs” under AugNet Services
- Type “Great Lakes” in the keyword search and choose “Student” under the industry/function field
- Click “Find Jobs”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to apply and then click on submit
- After applying you will receive notification that your application was submitted
2. Apply directly to intern organizations using AugPost.
- Log into Inside Augsburg
- Go to the A-Z Directory and select Career Services
- Click on the large maroon button “Students & Alumni Find a Job or Internship”
- You should now be logged into AugPost. (FYI- your username is your Augsburg email and your password is your AugNet password)
- Select “Internships/Jobs/Volunteer” under the “AugPost Internship/Jobs/Volunteer” tab in the upper toolbar
- Click on “Advanced Search” on the right-hand side of the page
- Choose “Internship-Paid” and “Internship-Unpaid” in the Position Type box
- Click “search”
- Click the “apply” button for internships that interest you and follow the application instructions for each position
To see organizations who have pre-approved internships already posted on AugPost, simply use Employer keyword search “Great Lakes Grant”.
*If you have already secured an internship site on your own, you will NOT need to complete step 2 in the process.
What are the requirements?
Requirements will vary depending on whether you do the internship for credit or not-for-credit. Each process has specific requirements list in the student FAQ below.