Registering an internship for Augsburg Experience only? Click here.
Academic (for-credit) Internship Registration Deadlines:
Students wishing to obtain academic credit for their internship are required to register during the semester that corresponds with the majority of the internship experience. The following are the registration deadlines* for the 2014-2015 academic year:
- Fall 2014 – September 16, 2014
- Spring 2015 – January 26, 2015
- Summer 2015 – May 22, 2015
*If you receive an internship offer after the registration deadline, please contact Career & Internship Services for registration options.
Step to register for an internship for-credit
1. Secure an internship site and position. Contact your academic department to find out if there are any specific guidelines or requirements for the internship site.
2. Report your internship site. Once you have confirmed the internship opportunity, fill out information about your internship position, supervisor and description in the Site Supervisor Agreement form (see below). The agreement form will be sent directly to your site supervisor for approval based on the information submitted. The approved Site Supervisor Agreement must completed online prior to being able to register for academic credit.
3. Secure a faculty sponsor. Some departments have an internship seminar or have an appointed internship faculty member overseeing all internships in the department. Otherwise it is up to the student to find a faculty member willing to supervise the internship.
4. Complete the Internship Registration Form found on the registrars website. To complete the form you will need approval from your faculty sponsor who will oversee the academic portion of the internship as well as the Department Chair who ensures the internship meets the department criteria. Bring this form with you to the registration/orientation session for the final signature from Career & Internship Services staff before turning the form in to the Enrollment Center for registration.
5. Attend a required* Internship Registration/Orientation Session with Career & Internship Services (dates below). When attending this session you should bring your internship registration form (signed by faculty sponsor). You are responsible for making it to one of these required sessions to complete your internship registration. The sessions will last approximately 50 minutes. Dates for the Spring 2015 internship registration sessions are:
- Thursday, November 13 at 4:00 pm
- Monday, November 17 at 3:00 pm
- Thursday, November 20 at 2:00 pm
- Tuesday, December 2 at 5:00 pm
- Monday, December 8 at 4:30 pm
- Tuesday, December 16 at 10:30 am
- Tuesday, January 13 at 4:00 pm
- Friday, January 16 at 8:00 am
- Tuesday, January 20 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, January 22 at 2:00 pm
- Friday, January 23 at 9:30 am
* Students registering for an internship with a seminar (i.e., PSY400, SOC399, BUS399) are not required to attend the session and will complete their site supervisor agreements as an assignment for the seminar. Students enrolling in these courses can drop off their completed registration forms with Career & Internship Services in the Strommen Center for Meaningful Work for the final “Strommen signature” and pick up them up within 24 hours to submit to the Enrollment Center.
6. Turn in completed Internship Registration Form to Enrollment Center. Once the registration form has all the required signatures, the internship registration form must be submitted by the internship registration deadline.
Additional Requirements for Internships for Academic Credit
Once registered for an internship for academic credit, the following are additional requirements that must be completed during the term registered.
1. Submit your required Internship Learning Agreement online, no later than the 3rd week of your internship . The Learning Agreement is the academic focus of your internship, where you will specify and elaborate on the academic and work goals and objectives, activities and strategies to achieve learning, target dates, and methods of evaluation. The Learning Agreement should be written by you, approved by your faculty supervisor and acceptable to the internship site supervisor. For examples of internship learning agreements, check out this guide
- Fall semester – DUE by the end of the third week of the internship
- Spring semester – DUE by the end of the third week of the internship
- Summer semester – DUE by the end of the first week of the internship
2. Complete the agreed upon academic work and learning assignments. The specific assignments will be determined by the faculty supervisor and student and outlined in the Internship Learning Agreement. Possibilities of assignments may include:
- Weekly Journals/Blogs (Sample guidelines for an Internship Journal)
- Final Reflection Paper
- Portfolio of Projects (Sample index for an Internship Portfolio)
- Updated Resume
3. Complete final evaluations. As you wrap up your internship, final internship evaluations will be emailed directly to the student and site supervisor to complete. Samples of the evaluations can be found here.
If you have any questions about registering or completing your internship for-credit please email email@example.com or call 612-330-1148.