At Augsburg, internships can be registered for a non-credit (0-credit) internship course to fulfill the Augsburg Experience requirement. This option recognizes the learning inherent in integrating your education with internship or related experience while not requiring you to register for academic credit. If you are seeking academic course credit (2 or 4 credits) for your internship, please review the academic internship registration process here.
What qualifies for the non-credit internship?
- Experience must be related to your major, minor and/or career goals.
- Positions must offer an opportunity to apply theory to practice in a work setting with opportunity for clear application of coursework and enhancement of knowledge and skills.
- Students will be required to create learning strategies, observable objectives and systematic evaluation of the learning processes and outcomes.
- Positions may be paid or unpaid.
- Sites may include approved relevant part-time jobs during the school year, full-time or part-time relevant summer job opportunities, or internships in a students major field.
- Student must complete a minimum of 80 hours on the internship site, but are strongly encouraged to complete additional hours to have a more meaningful opportunity to contribute to the organization.
- Start and end dates for experiences are flexible, but students must be registered for the internship during the term in which they are completing the experience.
Non-Credit Internship Registration and Requirements
The non-credit internship acknowledges the learning and academic value of a work-based learning experience. It is a non-credit recognition and there is no registration fee. Students registering for a non-credit internship are required to:
1. Secure an internship site and position. If you need assistance finding an internship, contact Strommen Career & Internship Services at 612-220-1148 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to discuss your interests and possibilities.
2. Report your internship site. Fill out information about your internship position and description in the Site Supervisor Agreement form. The agreement form will be sent directly to your site supervisor for approval. The approved Site Supervisor Agreement must be returned to Career & Internship Services (located in the Strommen Center for Meaningful Work) prior to registering for the non-credit Augsburg Experience internship.
3. Attend a required Internship Registration/Orientation Session with Career & Internship Services (dates below). Before attending a session, you need to have verification of the Site Supervisor Agreement and position description. You are responsible for making it to one of these required sessions to gain access to complete your internship registration online. The sessions will last approximately 50 minutes. Dates for the fall 2014 internship registration sessions are:
- Thursday, August 28 at 11:00am
- Tuesday, September 2 at 2:00pm
- Thursday, September 4 at 11:30am and 5:00pm
- Friday, September 5 at 10:30 am
- Monday, September 8 at 3:00pm
- Tuesday, September 9 at 11:30am
- Wednesday, September 10 at 10:30am
- Thursday, September 11 at 4:30pm
- Monday, September 15 at 10:00am
- Tuesday, September 16 at 9:30am and 4:00pm
4. Register online for AUG EX3 (Non-Credit Internship) for Augsburg Experience during the open registration period. You must attend an internship orientation/registration session to obtain permission to register.
5. Submit your required Internship Learning Agreement online, no later than the 3rd week of your internship . The Learning Agreement is the academic focus of your internship, where you will specify and elaborate on the academic and work goals and objectives, activities and strategies to achieve learning, target dates, and methods of evaluation. The Learning Agreement should be written by you, approved by your faculty supervisor and acceptable to the internship site supervisor. For examples of internship learning agreements, check out these samples.
- Fall semester – DUE by the end of the third week of the internship
- Spring semester – DUE by the end of the third week of the internship
- Summer semester – DUE by the end of the first week of the internship
6. Complete the Augsburg Experience reflection paper at the end of the internship after completing a minimum of 80 hours to reflect on progress made on the learning goals and in response to the prompts given.
7. Students receive a grade of “P” (participation with no credit) when the final paper is satisfactorily completed and approved.
If you have any questions about registering or completing your non-credit internship for your Augsburg Experience please email email@example.com or call the main office at 612-330-1148.