The 2014-2015 Financial Aid Instructions: Fall – Summer 2014-2015
Applying for financial aid can sometimes be an intimidating process. We are here to help guide you through it by providing step by step instructions on how to apply. The 14-15 FAFSA is intended for students who plan to register in the 2014-2015 school year. By submitting a FAFSA, we will be able to determine what grants and student loans are available. Students wishing to be considered for only scholarships each year do not need to submit a FAFSA but should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Steps and Deadlines to Apply for Financial Aid – Fall 2014-Summer 2015
- Prepare to file your taxes.
- Determine if you need to file. Review some tax tips. Remember, just because a student isn’t required to complete a tax return doesn’t mean they shouldn’t. If money was withheld from their paychecks, they should file. It’s possible they’ll get back most or all of what was withheld.
- Get help filing, if you need it. There are many free tax sites for those who qualify. Find one near you.
- If you do not plan to file, skip to step 3.
- File your 2013 federal income taxes electronically (both parent(s) and student) as early as possible. After filing your taxes, allow the IRS to process your return (2-3 weeks for taxes filed electronically, 6-8 weeks for paper taxes) before filling out your FAFSA.
- Complete your 2014-2015 FAFSA online at www.FAFSA.ed.gov. Tax filers, remember to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to directly import your tax information. Make sure to submit the FAFSA by signing with your Pin number. Augsburg’s school code is 002334. Review the Common FAFSA Filing Errors before you click submit.
- If you plan to file taxes but haven’t done so by May 1st, you should still complete your FAFSA. Use estimated numbers and mark your tax filing status as ‘Will File’.
- Attention Minnesota residents only: Look carefully at the confirmation page immediately upon completion of the online FAFSA. If you are prompted to apply for MN state-based financial aid, click on the link and answer the additional required questions. If you missed the link, you can access the MN State Grant Questionnaire here.
- Submit Additional Documentation as Requested. Some students will be selected for Verification. Verification is a process in which the Financial Aid office must verify certain information that the student and/or parent provided on the FAFSA. Students selected for Verification will be notified via email by Augsburg on what additional documentation is required. You can also “Track Your Financial Aid” and view the documents tab to see if additional documentation is required. Review Augsburg’s Document Descriptions for details about each document.
Current Students Only: The deadline to complete you 2014-2015 FAFSA is May 1, 2014. Late applicants will result in a 50% to 100% reduction in Augsburg institutional aid for the 2014-2015 academic year. If you do not have taxes complete by May 1st, please still submit your FAFSA.
Need Additional Help?
Watch this helpful video tutorial to learn the 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA.
Review the Common FAFSA Filing Errors.
Review Augsburg’s Document Descriptions for details financial aid documents.
Merit and Gift Aid
Augsburg is aware of how difficult it can be to pay for a college education. Scholarships can help you make it happen. There are two kinds of scholarships that may interest you: Augsburg scholarships for incoming first-year students and transfer students, and scholarships from outside organizations.
Students may also wish to utilize student loans in order to help cover the cost of their education. Information about federal and private student loans can be found on your loans webpage.
Special Circumstance Information
Learn more about Augsburg’s policy regarding Special Circumstances.
Policies and Regulations
Please review the policies and disclosures tab to the left to make sure you understand your tuition charges and your financial aid.