The 2013-2014 Financial Aid Instructions – For Fall – Spring 2013-2014
Applying for financial aid can sometimes be an intimidating process. We are here to help guide you through this by providing step by step instructions on how to apply. The 13-14 FAFSA is intended for students coming in the fall 2013.
Steps and Deadlines to Apply for Financial Aid – Fall 2013-Spring 2014
- File your 2012 federal income taxes (both parent(s) and student) as early as possible. After filing your taxes, allow the IRS to process your return (2-3 weeks for taxes filed electronically, 6-8 weeks for paper taxes) before filling out your FAFSA. This time frame will allow you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool option to pre-populate your tax information onto your FAFSA.
- Complete your 2013-2014 FAFSA online at www.FAFSA.gov. Remember to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool option to directly import your tax information. Non-Tax filers will have no tax data to transfer. Make sure to submit the FAFSA by signing with your Pin number. Augsburg’s school code is 002334.
- Attention Minnesota residents only: Look carefully at the confirmation page immediately upon completion of the online FAFSA. If you are prompted to apply for MN state-based financial aid, click on the link and answer the additional required questions. If you missed the link you can access the MN State Grant Questionnaire here.
- Submit Additional Documentation as Requested: Some students will be selected for Verification. Verification is a process in which the Financial Aid office must verify certain information that the student and or parent provided on the FAFSA. Students selected for Verification will be notified via email by Augsburg on what additional documentation is required. You can also “Track Your Financial Aid” and view the documents tab to see if additional documentation is required.
Current Students Only: The deadline to complete you 2013-2014 FAFSA is May 1, 2013. Late applicants will result in a 50% to 100% reduction in Augsburg institutional aid for the 2013-2014 academic year.
The 2012-2013 Financial Aid Instructions – For Fall/Winter/Spring 2012-2013
The process to apply for financial aid has undergone a significant improvement, designed to make it easier and more secure for our students. The FAFSA now offers the “IRS Data Match Tool” allowing students to simply pre-populate their tax information on the FAFSA – eliminating the need to enter tax information manually. This process will also eliminate the need for most students to have to turn in additional documents such as the Augsburg Aid form and their Federal 1040 tax transcript.
Steps and Deadlines to Apply for Financial Aid – Fall 2012-Spring 2013
File your federal taxes electronically (both parent(s) and student).
Wait two weeks after filing your taxes to allow the IRS to update your information and then complete your FAFSA
online, using the IRS Data Match process. If you do not file taxes, then you do not use the IRS Data Match tool.
- Some students will need to submit additional documents to our office. Our office will inform you by email or mail if you are selected for verification by the Department of Education. If selected, please follow the instructions listed below.*
*Steps to complete if selected for Verification:
- Submit the 2012-2013 Augsburg Aid form
- If we require a 2011 tax return transcript, please re-submit your financial information on your FAFSA using the IRS Data Match tool. If you are unable to complete this process please submit a copy of your tax return transcript. Go to IRS website to order a transcript or visit a local IRS office for immediate assistance.
*Minnesota State Grant Form: Only required if listed on the Documents tab when you log in to view your Financial Aid award.
- Submit the 12-13 MN State Grant Applicaton form and submit to our office
Current Students Only: The deadline to complete your 2012-2013 FAFSA is May 1, 2012.Please notify us if you are unable to meet the deadline. Late applicants will result in a 50% reduction in Augsburg aid for the 2012-2013 academic year. Students who submit their FAFSA after the start of the term will result in a 100% reduction in Augsburg aid for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Merit and Gift Aid
Augsburg is aware of how difficult it can be to pay for a college education. Scholarships can help you make it happen. There are two kinds of scholarships that may interest you: Augsburg scholarships for incoming first-year students and transfer students and scholarships from outside organizations.
Student Loan Options
Loans are also a big part of a student’s financial aid package. There are several loan options available to you.
Special Circumstance Information
Learn more about Augsburg’s policy regarding Special Circumstances
Policies and Regulations
There are certain policies and regulations that must be followed for a student to be able to receive federal aid. Learn more about what guidelines your financial aid counselor will help you follow.