There’s no doubt that much work has been underway around campus as our community readies to become “Augsburg University” on September 1 … campus-wide meetings to discuss the timeline and process for the switch, work to create a new logo and other brand-related visual identifiers, installations of new graphics on Augsburg vehicles and the gym floor, permitting for new monument signs. The change is quite exciting and reflects our reality, reputation, and promise.
With only about 60 days remaining before we officially are Augsburg University, now is the time for individual departments to start digging into the work needed at the departmental level to ensure our campus is transformed by September 1. Some of the major steps that our community needs to take were detailed in an update posted May 25 and included discussion of key dates, physical items, an inventory of items, department checklists, ordering items, access to graphics, and managing department websites and/or blogs, social media, voicemail, email and more.
Block Time on Your Calendar
One of the most important things you can do right now to ensure that your department achieves the mandatory name change work is to block time on your calendar between August 28 through September 1 to implement the changes for which your department is responsible.
To help the community with the transition, MarComm staff has developed extensive databases, tracking tools, timelines, and throughout the past six months has held individual and group meetings with all stakeholders. MarComm will continue to be available at three remaining Name Change Help Sessions, listed at the end of this blog posting, but it is imperative that the full community plan for the name change, including setting aside time to implement the changes for which your department is responsible, as it will be difficult for our limited team to address a myriad of issues if items aren’t addressed early enough in the process.
Review Your Augsburg University Department Name Change Checklist
Academic and administrative department heads will receive access to a department specific Google document in early July, including a checklist of items that each department will need to review and/or implement. The checklists were created from the Augsburg University Name Change Inventory Database that was built during the past 20 months and for which staff of MarComm met with administrative departments, faculty chairs and student organizations.
Each Department Name Change Checklist is broken down into an easy-to-use, color-coded grid that includes the following columns:
- A – This is the type of item, physical or digital, that requires change.
- B – A number of 1 through 4 is assigned to each item requiring change. (Tiers 1 and 2 are being managed by MarComm staff, unless otherwise arranged, and include large-scale installations. Tiers 3 and 4 are the responsibility of individual departments and Tier 5 can be left as-is or removed.)
- C – This identifies the department or entity in which the change will take place.
- D – Identifies the actual location, physical or digital, of an item that needs to be changed.
- E – Includes additional notes and information that may be useful in implementing the change.
Please note that every department will have some items on the Department Name Change Checklist in Tiers 3 and 4 that say “ALL” in Column C. More information on many of these Items, designated “ALL” and that are items that every department must change, include items listed below (for more detail on these items, see the Name Change Update dated May 25, 2017):
- Departmental blogs (MarComm staff are managing all department websites on www.augsburg.edu)
- Departmental letterhead will be available to order in early August
- Departmental social media
- Departmental clothing or small items
- Syllabi and/or internal forms
- Individual association memberships
- Printed policies
- Faculty and staff identification cards
Download the Department Task Tracker
A “Task Tracker” is available to download to help you methodically take all the steps needed to implement your department’s specific name change tasks, to keep track of notes and questions you have, and more. Download the Task Tracker.
Attend a Name Change Help Session
Don’t forget, there are three remaining help sessions scheduled this summer. Attend these sessions if you want help with social media or web updates, have any questions about your Department Name Change Checklist, or for any other name-change related queries. Sessions are:
- July 11, 2017 at 2 p.m.—OGC 100
- August 2, 2017 at 1 p.m.—OGC 100
- August 23, 2017 at 1 p.m.—OGC 100
Thank You for Your Participation
There’s no doubt that the Name Change Project is exciting, even though it is exceptionally complex. We truly are at the point where we now require the participation from all members of our community to ensure we reach our shared goal of being recognized as Augsburg University beginning September 1.
There are some fun events planned for our first day of classes, September 5, that will make this push and pull worth celebrating! Please stay tuned for more information. In the meantime, thank you for your understanding and for picking up the tasks for which your department is responsible. We have much to celebrate!