[Updated August 21, 2017]
With only weeks to go before Augsburg officially becomes “Augsburg University,” many more visual proof of this historic change are becoming apparent. Banners float above the sidewalks throughout campus by Music Hall, between Lindell Library and Oren Gateway Center, and down Riverside Avenue. Soon, signage on top of Mortensen Hall will be lit so travelers on Interstate 94 will see “Augsburg University” illuminating the night sky.
As we enter the final weeks before we change officially are recognized as Augsburg University, we want to encourage all faculty, staff, and students to save the date for a kick-off celebration on September 5, the first day of class for our incoming students.
The day will include traditional and new experiences for the full community and is intended to be a festival-like atmosphere. The schedule includes:
- 9:20 a.m. Opening Convocation Line Up
- Faculty are asked to line up at 9:20 a.m. to applaud students as they process into Hoversten Chapel for the Opening Convocation.
- 9:30 a.m. Opening Convocation in Hoversten
- The Opening Convocation, for incoming students and AugSem leaders, is starting earlier than previous years to accommodate the 10:30 a.m. festival in the Quadrangle.
- To ensure adequate seating for incoming first-year students, Aug Sem leaders/faculty & platform party guests, Augsburg community members and guests will be invited to view the event via livestream in Sateren Auditorium (or you can watch from any computer or mobile device via the Augsburg YouTube or Facebook channels).
- 10:20 a.m. Line Up for Recessional
- Faculty and staff who watched the livestream in Sateren and/or are elsewhere on campus are encouraged to congregate outside of Foss and on the sidewalk along 22nd Avenue by 10:20 a.m. to welcome our incoming class as they recess from the event and to kick off the name change activities with some special performances!
- 10:30 a.m. Kick-Off Celebration
- Everyone is invited to the Quadrangle for a celebration! Food stations will be set up throughout the Quadrangle. Community members will be able to have Augsburg University logo t-shirts screen printed onsite, participate in a photo-booth, make hygiene kits for the Health Commons, and check out a special “reveal” on Christensen Center. Large-party format games, stilt walkers, and more are part of the celebration.
- 11:30 a.m. Formal Program
- Augsburg University President Paul Pribbenow will provide a formal welcome to students and officially launch Augsburg University.
- 1 p.m. First-Year Student Service Projects
Please plan to join first-year and other new Auggies, faculty, and staff to celebrate the day and to kick-off the 2017-18 academic year!
Existing faculty, staff, and students who want a new Augsburg University ID card can get one by visiting the circulation desk of Lindell Library during normal business hours. New ID cards will be required beginning this fall in order to check out library resources.
Be sure to walk the outside perimeter of campus! You’ll see that the new monument signs are being installed at five locations. New landscaping also will be done. Signs on Riverside Avenue now are oriented so that they are visible from Riverside and the new signs are legible from both sides.
Edor Nelson Field
New padding and windscreens will be ordered for Edor Nelson Field. The screens will be branded and will reflect the colors of Augsburg University — maroon and grey. A design mock-up of the new materials is shown in the photo at right.
Augsburg’s official social media challenges will begin this week to reflect the name change. The changeover is taking place now so that all accounts are updated parallel to multiple print projects by Augsburg and affiliate organizations.
In case you haven’t seen it on your way to campus yet, be sure to check out the new signage on the top of Mortensen Hall. “Augsburg University” signs are on the north- and south-facing sides of the top of the building. The new Augsburg “A” is on the east- and west-facing sides. Consideration was given to placing “Augsburg University” on the east- and west-facing sides, but these sides are shorter in length than the north/south sides and the lettering would be significantly smaller and, therefore, difficult to read from a distance. As the University uses the Augsburg A more, we expect it to become as recognizable as our full name over time.
As mentioned last week, the new, official Augsburg University logos now are available to faculty and staff in the Marketing and Communication area of the Inside Augsburg website. Several variations are available for use on all printed materials, department websites, University merchandise, and campus signage. It is important that the new logos, variations, and symbols replace all previously used logos and symbols. Visit Marketing and Communication at http://inside.augsburg.edu/marketing/style_guidelines/ for details on the proper uses of the Augsburg University symbol and variations, as well as information about Augsburg’s official school colors, typography, and more.
Name Change Swap
As the community knows, not every single instance where “Augsburg College” exists will it be replaced, such as on dedication and donor plaques and other. Another example is on Science Hall where, on the west side of the building, there is signage atop the northern-most entrance. This signage will remain, ivy covered, until Science Hall is removed. Removal of the signage would create damage to the building facade.