[Updated August 21, 2017]
With only weeks to go before Augsburg officially becomes “Augsburg University,” many more visual proof of this historic change are becoming apparent. Banners float above the sidewalks throughout campus by Music Hall, between Lindell Library and Oren Gateway Center, and down Riverside Avenue. Soon, signage on top of Mortensen Hall will be lit so travelers on Interstate 94 will see “Augsburg University” illuminating the night sky.
As we enter the final weeks before we change officially are recognized as Augsburg University, we want to encourage all faculty, staff, and students to save the date for a kick-off celebration on September 5, the first day of class for our incoming students.
The day will include traditional and new experiences for the full community and is intended to be a festival-like atmosphere. The schedule includes:
- 9:20 a.m. Opening Convocation Line Up
- Faculty are asked to line up at 9:20 a.m. to applaud students as they process into Hoversten Chapel for the Opening Convocation.
- 9:30 a.m. Opening Convocation in Hoversten
- The Opening Convocation, for incoming students and AugSem leaders, is starting earlier than previous years to accommodate the 10:30 a.m. festival in the Quadrangle.
- To ensure adequate seating for incoming first-year students, Aug Sem leaders/faculty & platform party guests, Augsburg community members and guests will be invited to view the event via livestream in Sateren Auditorium (or you can watch from any computer or mobile device via the Augsburg YouTube or Facebook channels).
- 10:20 a.m. Line Up for Recessional
- Faculty and staff who watched the livestream in Sateren and/or are elsewhere on campus are encouraged to congregate outside of Foss and on the sidewalk along 22nd Avenue by 10:20 a.m. to welcome our incoming class as they recess from the event and to kick off the name change activities with some special performances!
- 10:30 a.m. Kick-Off Celebration
- Everyone is invited to the Quadrangle for a celebration! Food stations will be set up throughout the Quadrangle. Community members will be able to have Augsburg University logo t-shirts screen printed onsite, participate in a photo-booth, make hygiene kits for the Health Commons, and check out a special “reveal” on Christensen Center. Large-party format games, stilt walkers, and more are part of the celebration.
- 11:30 a.m. Formal Program
- Augsburg University President Paul Pribbenow will provide a formal welcome to students and officially launch Augsburg University.
- 1 p.m. First-Year Student Service Projects
Please plan to join first-year and other new Auggies, faculty, and staff to celebrate the day and to kick-off the 2017-18 academic year!