With only weeks to go before Augsburg officially becomes “Augsburg University,” many more visual proof of this historic change are becoming apparent. Banners float above the sidewalks throughout campus by Music Hall, between Lindell Library and Oren Gateway Center, and down Riverside Avenue. Soon, signage on top of Mortensen Hall will be lit so travelers on Interstate 94 will see “Augsburg University” illuminating the night sky.
As we enter the final weeks before we change officially are recognized as Augsburg University, we want to encourage all faculty, staff, and students to save the date for a kick-off celebration on September 5, the first day of class for our incoming students.
The day will include traditional and new experiences for the full community and is intended to be a festival-like atmosphere. The schedule includes:
- 9:30 a.m. Opening Convocation in Hoversten
- The Opening Convocation, for incoming students and AugSem leaders, is starting earlier than previous years to accommodate the 10:30 a.m. festival in the Quadrangle. Faculty and staff are asked to line up at 9:20 a.m. to applaud students as they process into Hoversten Chapel for the Opening Convocation.
- 10:30 a.m. Kick-Off Celebration and Lunch in the Quadrangle
- Food stations will be set up throughout the Quadrangle. Community members will be able to have Augsburg University logo t-shirts screen printed onsite, participate in a photo-booth, make hygiene kits for the Health Commons, and check out a special “reveal” on Science Hall. Large-party format games, stilt walkers, and more are part of the celebration.
- 1 p.m. First-Year Student Service Projects
Please plan to join first-year and other new Auggies, faculty, and staff to celebrate the day and to kick-off the 2017-18 academic year!