URGO Pre-Health Advising
We offer individualized advising for each step of the application process:
- When to take your standardized exam (MCAT, GRE, DAT, etc.)
- Guidance and feedback on your personal statement and additional application essays
- Guidance and feedback on secondary application essays
- Practice admissions interviews
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to set up an appointment. We have also provided some additional resources below that can be very helpful when navigating the application process.
Standardized Test Resources
Many students benefit from structured prep courses, and we strongly recommend that you consider this option. They provide structure and feedback that you cannot get from a book.
- Magoosh offers online prep for the GRE test and has been highly reviewed by students.
- Kaplan offers test-prep courses for the GRE, MCAT, and DAT.
- Dental Admission Test (DAT) – This test attempts to measure general academic ability, comprehension of scientific information, and perceptual ability, and is available in computerized form almost every day of the year.
- The Official Website of the GRE offers study resources such as free practice tests and writing prompts. The tests are offered nearly every day at testing centers; locations can be found online.
Health professional schools receive hundreds of applications each year, so the personal statement is your chance to stand out and make an impression. The University of Minnesota has created an online module to help students craft their personal story. We recommend that you complete this module and bringing your notes in for a personal statement consultation with URGO before starting your first draft.
Personal Statements for a Health Programs
If you have trouble accessing the module, please email us at email@example.com.
Centralized Application Systems
Many health fields have moved to a centralized application system. This allows students to submit some application materials to one online location, and these materials will be sent to all schools the student selects. Keep in mind that some schools may request that additional application materials be sent directly to them.
Most health schools conduct interviews with their most competitive applicants. This is an important part of the application process and is another opportunity for you to set yourself apart and elaborate on your experiences. We strongly recommend completing a practice interview prior to the real thing. To request a mock interview, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Minnesota has created the online module below to help you prepare for your practice interview. Follow the link and create a guest account. This should allow you to “register” for the module.
Interviewing Skills for a Health Program