As a student researcher you can…
- Explore topics in-depth and discover what interests you in your field
- Develop technical and marketable skills
- Enhance your writing, speaking, and critical-thinking abilities
- Build a professional relationship and reputation with a faculty mentor
- Network with peers and professionals in your field
Preparing for the future
Whether you are planning to go to graduate school or straight to the workforce, a research experience will help you develop as a professional and stand out among fellow applicants. Many businesses and non-profit organizations today are data-driven, making research skills highly valuable to employers. Research experience also indicates to graduate schools that you understand the research process; you are aware of some of the current questions being asked in your field; you have the persistence necessary for meeting the intellectual, organizational and procedural challenges research inevitably presents; and ultimately, that you are serious about your chosen field of study.