Newly developing Institute to Promote Interreligious Leadership
For Augsburg University, interfaith work is a core aspect of our academic mission and reflects the religious and secular diversity of those who make up the Augsburg community. Because we are shaped by the faith and values of the Lutheran church and believe that religious diversity can be a constructive force serving the common good, we have established Interfaith at Augsburg: An Institute to Promote Interreligious Leadership. The Institute will coordinate and expand the five dimensions of Augsburg’s interfaith initiatives:
- Intellectual exploration of diverse religious and secular traditions;
- Spiritual engagement as followers of different traditions carry out their rituals and spiritual disciplines;
- Everyday experiences in our informal relationships on campus, in the Cedar-Riverside community and beyond provide opportunity to develop interfaith friendships, explore questions and discover unity in our diversity;
- Social action, informed by our different secular and religious traditions, is our shared vocation to be neighbors and work for justice, peace and equity for the whole creation;
- Global Education offers opportunities for students, faculty and staff to experience interfaith collaboration and conflicts around the world through short-term and semester abroad opportunities.