10 Little Things You Can Do To Make Someone Else’s Day Better

We all live busy lives, which can make it hard to set aside time to do something nice for someone else.

I believe the little things you do for someone can be just as helpful and uplifting as the big things. I also believe it is very important to take time out of your day for other people. When someone does something genuinely nice and unexpected for me, it always makes me stop and have an overwhelming feeling of gratitude. It’s always a good reminder to know that you are loved and cared for by other people.

Here’s a short list of little things you can do for someone to make their day better:

• A cup of coffee.Bring coffee to your best friendI don’t think anything would make me feel better than if I woke up to my best friend knocking on my door with a fresh Vanilla Iced Nirvana from Dunn Brothers. That’s why you should do it for your best friend, because they would probably feel the same way. A fresh cup of coffee and showing your best friend that you care can be a perfect way to start your morning.

Thank you note.

• Write a thank you note to someone who has had an impact on your life. This is a great way to show someone that you are genuinely grateful for what they’ve done for you. Handwritten notes are more impactful because it shows that you took time to do write out your thoughts about the person; while a text is quick, easy, and can be interpreted as less genuine in my opinion. Often times we take for granted people that have helped us, and their helpful spirit goes unnoticed or unappreciated. Writing a note can remind someone they are appreciated and lift their spirit, as well as yours.

• A hand holding a bouquet of flowers. Surprise someone with flowers. Whether it’s your parents, grandparents, aunt, or just a friend; it will make their day to see someone they love surprise them with flowers. You don’t even have to spend money. You can pick flowers yourself and find a small vase. I don’t think it’s ever the flowers that really matter, it’s the thought that went into them. Since you’re in college now, you probably don’t see your family as much and they would probably be very happy to see you stop by.

• A merging sign in traffic. Let someone merge in traffic. I often get mad while driving, but it’s generally very exaggerated because I’m alone in a car and I can yell if I want to and no one will know. Regardless, it doesn’t really make anyone happy when no one will let them merge, or when someone cuts them off. Instead of making someone happy directly, this is more of a way you can prevent a stranger from having negative feelings; which is an act of kindness in itself. Although it will most likely go unnoticed and possibly unappreciated, you can have a piece of mind inside that you intentionally helped someone out today.

• A pile of several postcards. Send a postcard to an out-of-town loved one. I personally have a lot of family that lives out of town, that I don’t get to see very often, but love more than anything. It’s hard to keep in contact with people who live really far away, but sending a postcard can be a quick and easy way to send them positive vibes. Also, the mail is generally filled with bills and advertisements, so imagine the excitement they would get when they see a note from a loved one in the midst of all the other things.

• Two friends holding hands on a dirt road. Invite someone that’s going through a hard time to go on an adventure with you.The most important time to let someone know you care is when they are going through a hard time. If they need support and help getting out of their own head, invite them to do something fun with you; a bike ride, a walk around the lake, or some hiking. Spending time with someone is a great way to let them know you care. Also, that would be a very good opportunity to ask them how they’re doing and see if you can do anything to help.

• A woman smiling.Smile to everyone that walks by. I know it might be awkward and hard at first, but I feel like it’s a very special experience when a stranger walks by you and doesn’t act like they don’t see you or that you don’t exist. It is very uplifting when a stranger walks by and acknowledges your presence and existence, and chooses to smile and say hi. Some might not appreciate it, but I tend to appreciate it a lot; especially because it’s hard for me to do. It is such a small thing, but can be so impactful because it takes 3 seconds to do but it shines a small amount of love that you can take and pass on to someone else as well.

• Three fingers with faces drawn on them. Reach out to an old friend. It is easy to get caught up in your new life, with your new friends, and forget about memories you’ve shared with other people. Reaching out to an old friend to meet up or just see how they’re doing is a great way to show them you still care. I always light up when I get a text from an old friend. It reminds me of where I’ve been and it’s a reminder of the huge support network I have.

• A person in a sweater working on crafts.Make something for your parents. Paint something! Or if you aren’t artistically inclined, bake them something. Parents love homemade things and chances are, they haven’t got anything homemade from you in a long time (if you’re in college). Your mom or dad might not have a reason to bake anymore since you’ve gone off to college, and who doesn’t like baked goods. Your parents would most likely really appreciate a piece of original art from their child, as well. They would hang it with pride and think of you when they saw it.

• A piece of paper that reads "Free Compliment" following a list of compliments.Compliment a stranger, instead of just thinking it. Stranger compliments, to me, are the most genuine, because strangers really don’t have much to gain from saying something nice to you. One time a little girl, around 5 years old, came up to me and told me I was pretty then walked away. It was completely unprompted by anyone she knew, and it made me so happy; not that she said I was pretty but that such a little kid intuitively knew the importance of doing little things to make people smile. A compliment can go along way, too, because we don’t really give them out too often.

I would like to end this post with part of a quote that a fellow student of mine read during writing class one day, that has impacted me and the way that I think. “And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same,” a quote from Coach Carter. When we show other people love, we show other people that it’s okay to do, and we start a cycle of good deeds.

Thanks for reading.

Connie K.