Student Spotlight: Connor J.

Tell us about yourself.

I’m Connor Jabin from Oak Park, Illinois, which is a suburb of Chicago. I’m a junior here at Augsburg and this is my third year in StepUP. I’ve been sober for a little over three and a half years. I’m a marketing major with a minor in business administration.

What are your plans after graduation?Connor J. pictured with mother.

The plan is to get an internship at a marketing or consulting company, next summer, and then work for a few years after graduation. Five or ten years from now I see myself starting my own business. I have a couple plans in mind but I’m not sure where I want to take them. I want to talk to alumni, friends, and people who have their own business for ideas and advice. I’m hoping one day to have a successful business.

What is your passion?

When I’m not busy with schoolwork, I like to participate in intramural sports. I’m currently the captain of the StepUP flag football team. I like hanging out with friends, going to football games and going to the gym. Another big passion of mine is caring about other people. I enjoy being selfless and seeing other people smile. Giving freely of myself to people without expecting anything back is truly rewarding for me.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

My biggest accomplishment has been making it through each day sober. I’m glad to wake up knowing that I didn’t hurt anyone the day before. My sobriety has given me the opportunity to have a new relationship with my family, friends, and girlfriend. Waking up knowing it’s going to be a good day no matter what, because I’m sober, is a priceless feeling.

What brought you to Augsburg?

I came to Augsburg to be in the StepUP Program. I couldn’t imagine going to college without a sober community. I was sitting in my room at 2 AM one night, searching “Sober Colleges” on Google. Information about Augsburg and the StepUP Program kept showing up. I ran downstairs to show my parents that Augsburg was where I wanted to go to school. Shortly after we set up a tour. I loved the campus, the college, and the location right in the middle of the city. The community felt so much like home; I could see myself making real friends and maintaining long term recovery in StepUP.

Why do you stay in StepUP?

The community is the biggest reason I stay here. It is so unique to be involved in a program where over 90 people are striving for the same goals as me. I feel like I can open up, be vulnerable, and share my problems with others. If my problems feel too big or I don’t feel comfortable talking about them with my friends, I know my counselor is always willing to listen. Together, the staff and community create something special that I am so grateful for and never want to take for granted.

What advice would you give an incoming student?

Go to class, immerse yourself in this community, and try to meet new people. My first year, it was good for me to make friends outside of StepUP as well. Augsburg has a lot to offer. Make friends outside of the StepUP community who are still a good influence on you.

Anything else?

StepUP gave me a second chance at life. I wanted to go to school like other college students who aren’t in recovery, but in an environment that would be safe and supportive of me. That’s what StepUP provides me.

“We create pathways to graduation and lifelong recovery.”