Gratitude

Gratitude is an important part of the road to happiness. Sometimes a friend and I exchange daily gratitude lists. We both agree that it has been helpful. It’s increased positive thoughts, decreased negative feelings, and made me feel better.

Two psychologists, Dr. Robert A. Emmons of the University of California, Davis, and Dr. Michael E. McCullough of the University of Miami, have done much of the research on gratitude. One of their findings indicates, In positive psychology research, gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness.” It goes on to state, “Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships.”

Harvard Medical School published several ways to cultivate gratitude, including writing a thank you note, mentally thanking someone, writing gratitude journals and lists, praying, and meditating.

Below is my gratitude list for today. I challenge you to make one today, too!

My Gratitude List: Just For Today! 1. I get to watch y little brother grow up. 2. I have somewhere to call "Home." 3. Family. 4. I am sober. 5. I have the best grandma ever. 6. I went to a very insightful women's meeting last night. 7. I have the ability to be creative and choose to take advantage of it often. 8. I get to spend time with an old friend this weekend. 9. I'm in the middle of a really good book. 10. I've found a sponsor I really connect with and she's helping me through the steps. 11. My family in California and all my beautiful memories from there. 12. The desire to learn and grow spiritually. 13. Having beautiful people to love, and beautiful people to love me. 14. The motivation to be healthy and kind to my body. 15. Music makes me happy. 16. The opportunity to be in college and to learn. 16. My relationship with the universe. 18. My relationship with myself. 19. The ability to be compassionate.

-Connie K.