For new and experienced AP teachers
This course will focus on the AP Chinese Language and Culture course and exam in relation to World-readiness Standards that serve as overarching principles for the development of curricular framework. Consultant and participants will discuss and brainstorm research-supported best practices, illustrate step-by-step instructions for creating a truly communicative and interactive immersive setting, and demonstrate effective instructional strategies in enhancing student performance in all three modes of communications (interpersonal, interpretive and presentational). Participants will gain hands-on experiences in assessing student responses by using grading criteria and rubrics applicable for AP Chinese and develop sample formative and summative assessments for their local classrooms. The entire group will also share and examine effective instructional resources.
Topics will include the following:
- Examination of sample student answers from free response sections of an actual AP exam as well as released scoring guidelines for these sections
- Best practices and classroom strategies in improving student performance
- Integration of the ACTFL World Readiness Standards into instruction and assessment
- Cultural integration into the AP course o Authentic materials, immersion environment and differentiated instruction
Step-by-step instructions including classroom-paced lesson plans to use AP Classroom effectively for AP Chinese classroom settings. These lesson plans are designed based on the newly developed Thematic Unit (6) and Strategy Skills (8).
What participants should bring:
- Textbooks you are currently using, student work samples, your sample assessments as well as your syllabus, if any
- Your favorite thematic unit
- Authentic materials you have used in your classes
- Any other items you think might be helpful for discussions and exchanges
- A list of technology tools and apps you have used
- Your laptop
consultant: lili wong
As the first Chinese teacher in Central California since 1991, Lili is strongly committed to promoting Chinese language in the Central Valley of California and bringing forth the interest and attention of Chinese culture to her community. Lili earned her B.A. in English from Fu-Jen Catholic University in Taiwan and her M.A. in Linguistics from California State University, Fresno. She has a Professional Clear Single Subject Credential in Chinese, a Professional Clear Multiple Subject Credential, a SDAIE Certificate (Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English), and a CLAD Certificate (Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development). Lili has been a teacher in Clovis West High School, Buchanan High School, and Clovis Community College in California since 1991. She has received the Teacher of the Year and Educator of Merit Awards multiple times, and is a recipient of the Crystal Award as the best educator in the district. She has reviewed multiple Chinese textbooks, including “Chinese in Action” from Pearson Publishing. Lili has also served as a Scoring Leader in AP Reading since the launch of AP Chinese Exam in 2006. She was a member of AP Chinese Language and Culture Committee in 2012—2016. She is currently a member of SAT Subject Test in Chinese Language Committee, and the AP consultant of the College Board. She has presented on her Chinese teaching expertise at numerous AP conferences and workshops. She also works as an Assessor at CalTPA (California Teaching Performance Assessment) World Languages since 2017.