Student Reflection from China Delegation Program

The Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) recently hosted a delegation of 20 STEM students to China for a 2-week study abroad program. Two Augsburg College STEM students were chosen for this prestigious program, Sadiya Roba Jiru and Hussein Umar Abdullahi.

Auggies were eligible for this program because Augsburg College is in Minnesota’s Fifth District and is represented by Rep. Keith Ellison – a CBCF member. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity! See the CBCF press release.

Below is a reflection from the program from Sadiya, along with a few photos she would like to share.

When I applied for the opportunity to go to China with the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation I barely knew anything about China and I had never even thought of visiting. What sparked my interest was that it was short term (two weeks) and that it was basically free. The trip transformed my perception and stereotype of China, and the unfair image it sometimes has in the West. China is a fascinating and rapidly changing country, old customs and habits hang on as modern skyscrapers go up every second. I met 19 phenomenal students from around the country who were all different and unique in their own ways, but we all had a common goal for achieving optimum success within STEM. A professor in China told us that “It’s better to travel 10,000 miles than to read 10,000 books” I would give that same advice to other students considering a study abroad opportunity.