Guatemala Program Director
Augsburg University’s Center for Global Education and Experience (Augsburg CGEE) invites applications for a Guatemala Program Director, with a proposed start date in early August 2021. This position is located in Guatemala.
ABOUT AUGSBURG CGEE: Augsburg CGEE delivers high-impact, experiential, social justice-oriented global learning experiences for universities, high schools, non-profit organizations, businesses, churches, and others. Augsburg CGEE’s pedagogy is influenced by popular education, as well as other critical, experiential, feminist, Indigenous, and decolonial pedagogies that foment transformation. The goal of all of our global learning programs is to amplify the voices of marginalized people, and to empower learners to work for personal and social transformation.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Guatemala Program Director ensures the delivery of a variety of high-quality, safe educational programs and services in Guatemala, especially with Indigenous communities in Guatemala, in order to meet the University’s core goal of “engaging as an anchor institution at Augsburg sites around the world” so that learners “will live and work as citizens dedicated to a better world.” This position requires a person with a background to teach university-level courses and to maintain strong connections with a diverse array of local communities, civil society organizations, government entities, individuals, etc. that serve as resources for different educational programs for diverse participants. The Guatemala Program Director must have demonstrated commitments to social justice pedagogies, experiential education, and intercultural learning.
- EDUCATIONAL: Respond to needs for educational programming in Guatemala, be it in the form of semester programs, custom programs, or virtual courses or encounters, in accordance with Augsburg CGEE pedagogy and best practices. This includes facilitating students’ intercultural learning, leading group reflections, and designing and leading exercises that integrate theory and practice.
- ADMINISTRATIVE: Work in collaboration with relevant counterparts at Augsburg CGEE, ensuring the financial sustainability of operations in Guatemala through appropriate budget management and involvement in student/participant marketing and recruitment efforts.
- RISK MANAGEMENT: Oversee risk management (health and safety protocols) for all programming, service providers (lodging and transportation), and visits in Guatemala, including educating students/participants about health and safety practices while in Guatemala and ensuring emergency on-call support.
- COMMUNITY RELATIONS: Develop and maintain reciprocal partnerships with local communities, civil society organizations, government entities, and individuals throughout Guatemala to support community and programming needs. Help bridge cultural differences and similarities between host communities and visiting groups.
- Master’s degree in relevant field required. Doctorate a plus.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience teaching at the university level preferred–experience teaching in study abroad programs a plus.
- Comfort and ability to work in a “non-traditional” work environment which often includes working long hours and on weekends, and facilitating groups in multiple locations throughout Guatemala.
- Ability to translate and interpret between English and Spanish is required. Ability to translate and interpret between English and one or more Mayan languages preferred.
- Practical and theoretical background in experiential education, social justice-oriented pedagogies, and/or intercultural learning.
- Attentiveness to group dynamics and ability to navigate differences involving race, gender, class, and culture.
- Work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse work environment.
- Work effectively in a team environment and work independently with little supervision.
- Reason/analyze, maintain confidentiality, and demonstrate patience, understanding.
- Show initiative, organize workflow, simultaneously manage tasks related to multiple educational programs, and handle frequent interruptions.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and precision.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Annual salary: $35,000-37,000 USD
- Benefits: This position receives a generous benefits package which includes: paid holidays, vacation and sick time, life insurance, health insurance stipend, and employee and dependent tuition remission.