Fall semester classes resume this week. With students back on campus, it’s important to remind everyone about the importance of safety in and around the construction site. You can help keep the construction area safe by ensuring that no unauthorized personnel enter the construction site at any time. Only authorized personnel–wearing hard hats and safety vests–should enter the site. We appreciate everyone’s help keeping the construction area safe for workers and the campus community!
CONSTRUCTION SITE WORK
Work expected on the construction site this week includes the following:
- Third-floor concrete pours. Concrete pours for the third floor of the north wing will continue this week. This work involves closing parking along 21st Avenue South between South 7th and South 8th streets to allow for staging of concrete trucks in the area to enable a consistent concrete supply for each pour. Watch Amail and street signage for parking restriction information.
- Fourth-floor formwork. As the third-floor concrete work is completed, crews will move the concrete formwork from the third floor up to the fourth floor. This work involves using the tower crane to lift large sections of the formwork from the third level up to the fourth level. To ensure safety, construction crews station a flag person on the street to direct traffic whenever a load needs to swing over an adjacent street, and they never swing a load over the community garden if there are people working in the area.
- Completion of utility work along South 6th Street. The utility work on South 6th Street was extended beyond the original dates after a water main leak was discovered during the sanitary and storm utility work. This required water main repair work by the City of Minneapolis that resulted in an unexpected water shut off. Since the water shut off had not been planned, it was not possible to provide advance notice to neighbors. We do apologize for any inconvenience that the emergency water shut off may have caused. Now that the utility repair is complete, the only work that remains on South 6th Street is patching the asphalt, which the City of Minneapolis is expected to complete this fall.
- Continued column construction. Construction of the third-story columns will continue on the north wing of the building this week, as will construction of the first-floor columns on the west wing of the building.
- Utility work complete on 21st Avenue South and west of Oren. Xcel Energy has completed the removal of the utility poles along 21st Avenue South and the electrical utility work on the west side of Oren Gateway Center. Construction crews will proceed with concrete work and the installation of screen fencing in the area adjacent to Oren Gateway. The City of Minneapolis-approved tree removal on the construction site along the east side of South 6th Street and on 21stAvenue South has also been completed. These trees will be replaced during the summer of 2017, in accordance with City-approved plans.
- Mechanical piping installation. This week, crews will begin to install mechanical piping in the basement–the first activity related to interior work on the Hagfors Center.