It’s Homecoming at Augsburg College this week! With so many guests coming onto campus, it’s important to remain mindful of safety on and around the construction site. Only authorized personnel wearing hard hats and safety vests are permitted access to the site. No unauthorized personnel should enter the construction site at any time.
This past week, the Hagfors Center project leadership team toured the construction site, including climbing up to the take in the views from the fourth floor. Pictured at right, on that tour, are President Paul Pribbenow and Associate Professor of Physics Stu Anderson, both of whom serve on the project leadership team overseeing the design and construction of the building.
CONSTRUCTION SITE WORK
Following is a summary of current construction work:
- Preparing for concrete pours on the west wing. The concrete portion of the four-story north wing will be completed this week, and construction crews are now installing the concrete formwork for the second story on the west wing of the building. complete in that wing. This work involves using the tower crane to lift large sections of the formwork from the north wing to the west wing. To ensure safety, construction crews station a flag person on the street to direct traffic whenever a load needs to swing over an adjacent street, and they never swing a load over the community garden if there are people working in the area. As work proceeds on the west wing, the temporary yellow shoring posts, used during the concrete pours on the north wing, will be removed from that section of the building.
- Installation work in the basement. Installation of electrical conduit, piping for wastewater and other plumbing, and concrete block continues this week in the basement. Metal stud framing for interior walls also is in progress, and door frame installation will begin as well. Piping installation will also start to move to the upper floors of the north wing this week.
- Asphalt patching complete. The City of Minneapolis street patching on South 6th Street and 21st Avenue South is complete. This work was the final activity following the utility work done in that area this summer.
- Work west of Oren Gateway Center. Preparation for the new concrete slab on the west side of Oren Gateway Center is underway. The new slab will be poured and the new screening will be installed this fall.
- Storm sewer work completed for this year. The storm sewer work on the construction site is completed for this year. As planned, this work did not have any impact outside the construction site.
Elm wood saved from tree
The large elm tree north of Anderson Residence Hall was safely removed last week. As was previously communicated, the tree had become diseased and needed to be removed. Wood from the trunk of the tree was saved and will be made into lumber for use in a future project on campus.