In late September, the Hagfors Center construction project marked 100 days without a lost-time accident. Last week, crew members joined with executive team members from McGough Construction and Augsburg College for an on-site lunch to celebrate this safety milestone. Joining the event were Augsburg College President Paul Pribbenow, Augsburg Chief Strategy Officer Leif Anderson, Augsburg Facilities Director Dennis Stuckey, McGough Construction Executive Vice President Tim McGough, McGough Chief Operating Officer Brad Wood, McGough Project Manager Brian Baar, and McGough Construction Superintendent Ron Steinberger.
CONSTRUCTION SITE WORK
Construction work this week includes the following:
- Lobby columns. The six, three-story columns for the lobby of the building have been completed up to the second floor. This week, the columns are scheduled to be completed to their full height.
- North and west wing connection. Installation of the structural steel that connects the north and west wings continues this week. The construction of this area connects the two wings to the main lobby and creates the second- and third-floor interior walkways that will overlook the lobby of the building. After the beams are in place—which is the most visible part of this work—there will be several weeks of detail and welding work to complete the structure.
- Skyway piers. The excavation and concrete pours for the skyway footings are complete and ready for the concrete pours to construct the piers that will support the skyway at the 2nd-floor level. The piers, which will be located on both sides of 21st Avenue South, have a unique architectural design that compliments the aesthetic of the building. The pier construction work this week will not impact parking or driving on 21st Avenue South. McGough will have safety monitors in the area during the concrete pours to ensure pedestrian safety.
- Fourth-floor construction. The steel decking on the north wing’s fourth-floor roof is complete, and the concrete pour for the fourth-floor roof slab is scheduled this week. Exterior wall framing on the west of the fourth-floor will also begin this week.
- Piping, electrical, metal framing, and duct work. Construction crews continue with installation of piping, electrical, metal framing and duct work on the third floor of north wing this week.
- Work on the west of Oren Gateway. McGough Construction and Augsburg’s Facilities team are finalizing the layout of the screening fence for this area in order to accommodate the location of existing utilities. After the layout is determined, excavation for the footings will begin.