about multicultural Life
With the growing number of multiracial students and transition in leadership in each department this umbrella was created to label the space in which we serve students. Since the existence of the 4 departments in 1993, the space and departments were known as Ethnic Student Service Directors or Ethnic Directors. In 2013, to be more inclusive to our student and campus partners, Multicultural Life (ML) was established to connect students, departments and community. ML is essential the artificial glue of the 4 departments.
Multicultural Life serves as an umbrella for the following departments: American Indian Student Services, Latinx Student Services, Pan-Afrikan Center, and Pan-Asian Student Services; providing advising, mentoring, support, and fellowship to ethnically diverse students. Services provided by Multicultural Life include:
- Assisting students with the admissions process and financial aid application
- Providing academic advising and course planning
- Offering counseling services (personal, social, and cultural) including interventions, crisis counseling, and advocacy
- Fostering student security and comfort
- Providing opportunities to network with other students, faculty, staff, and alumni of color
- Offering community and professional referrals, networking opportunities, and information for jobs and internships
- Supporting and assisting admissions in the recruitment of ethnically diverse students
- Assisting with new student orientation and registration
- Assisting in the social and cultural transition to college
- Advising student organizations including Augsburg Asian Student Association (AASA), Augsburg Indigenous Student Association (AISA), Augsburg Latin American Students (ALAS), Hmong Women Together (HWT), and Pan-Afrikan Student Union (PASU)
- Offering scholarship opportunities as well as assists in seeking/provides resources for other scholarships
- Assisting Scholastic Connections program in seeking mentors
Office Location: Oyate’ Commons, Christensen Center basement
*Our office is now open for students to visit. If you are interested in a no-mask meeting, please contact the respective staff you’d like to meet for a virtual meeting. All in-person meetings require masks.*
The four individual programs (American Indian Student Services, Latinx Student Services, Pan-Afrikan Center and Pan-Asian Student Services) are housed together in the basement of the Christensen Center building in Suite 2. The space is shared with Study Away/Abroad (2 staff) and International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) (3 staff). In 2014 we named the space Oyate’ Commons in recognition of the first inhabitants of this land, the Dakota people. Oyate’ is the Dakota word that translates in english to “the people” or “the nation”.
Student support guide
Struggling with something that might be making it hard to do your best work as a student? The Student Support Guide is the place to go if you don’t know where to find support on or off-campus.
To access the guide, please make sure your phone or computer is logged in to your Augnet account first, then click on the document.