The Physician Assistant program at Augsburg is approximately 27 months long with studies beginning each year in the summer semester. The program accepts up to 33 students for each new class. Graduates will receive a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies.
Approximately 15 months of the program is didactic, or classroom work, including courses in human gross anatomy, pathophysiology, clinical medicine, pharmacotherapy, history and physical exam skills, research, and professional issues. In addition, clinical practice seminar is a small-group, case-based course that offers the unique opportunity to integrate and apply material from each of the courses to real-world patient cases. There are also hands-on activities that promote the development of practical skills through the use of simulated patients, technical skills workshops and labs.
The clinical phase is completed in approximately 12 months. The clinical phase of the program is designed to effectively train students for practice by providing them with rotation experiences in different specialties and a variety of practice settings. To that end, each student will be required to complete rotations outside the metropolitan area. Each student will gain clinical experience in family medicine, pediatrics, women’s health, behavioral health, emergency medicine, internal medicine, surgery, and various specialties. The clinical phase will culminate with a preceptorship that is designed to solidify the student’s skills. Clinical instructors include Physicians, PAs and other health care providers.
A student will be required to complete the clinical phase at site(s) determined by the Augsburg PA Program to provide the student with the best educational experience. Clinical rotation sites will be located throughout the state of MN, locations in the 5 state area, and potentially beyond.
The Augsburg PA program includes time away from the program at varying times which may or may not differ from the traditional breaks at Augsburg University; these breaks contribute to the overall 27-month length of the program.
PA Program Sample Calendar
- PA 501 – Human Anatomy and Neuroanatomy
- PA 503 – Human Pathophysiology
- PA 511 – History and Physical Exam Skills I
- PA 521 – Pharmacotherapy I
- PA 531 – Clinical Medicine I
- PA 542 – Professional Issues
- PA 546 – Clinical Practice Seminar I
- PA 512 – History and Physical Exam Skills II
- PA 522 – Pharmacotherapy II
- PA 532 – Clinical Medicine II
- PA 547 – Clinical Practice Seminar II
- PA 555 – Research Tools for the Physician Assistant
- PA 533 – Clinical Medicine III
- PA 545 – Clinical Phase Transition
- Master’s Project course, one of the following*:
- PA 599 – Directed Study
- ML 577 – International Experience
- PA 6XX – Clinical Rotations 1, 2, 3
- PA 6XX – Clinical Rotations 4, 5, 6
- PA 6XX – Clinical Rotations 7, 8
- PA 62X – Preceptorship
- PA 690 – Capstone
*Other program-approved options may be available
For a complete list of courses and descriptions, see the Course Description Search.